My Guitar

Chasplaya

Thu May 28, 2009 11:36 pm

gingold wrote:

If not a "bad" addiction then definitely an expensive one...
It certainly is, I shudder when I look at my little collection often wondering if I need insurance specially for the guitars

rcsnydley

Fri May 29, 2009 9:25 am

I already know what I want for my next two guitars, the type any way if not the brand. Next comes an electric guitar, I'd like a Les Paul, but then I'd a lot of things I might not get. After that comes a twelve string, brand unknown, I'll play them until I find one that's right. My local music store had a used Seagull twelve string that I played and really liked, so Seagull will be on the top of my list. I already have a Seagull six string and love it so that's another point in their favor.

Keep Playing
Ric

BigBear

Sat May 30, 2009 1:56 am

Ric- See if you can find a used Taylor 12 string (if you don't want to pop for a new one which are pretty pricey!). Taylor is famous for their twelves and their very strong construction. Watch any band that uses 12 strings and you'll almost certainly see a Taylor. Even a hard rocker like Tommy Shaw of Styx plays them!!

I also have had Guild and Yamaha 12's that were okay but Taylor has those fantastic necks and really bright sparkly sound that I love. Martins are nice but don't have Taylor's tone.

Good luck buddy!

BigBear

Sat May 30, 2009 2:41 am

Music Junkie wrote:
This is a bad, bad addiction.................
It certqainly is!! The only thing that keeps me under control is I can't afford another wife right now! I'd rather buy guitars though than pay attorneys! LOL!!

rcsnydley

Sat May 30, 2009 8:52 am

Rick - a friend of mine found a Taylor 12 string at the music store he frequents. It was used and had a gash in the back. He bought it for $400 and took it to the local luthier spent an few hundred dollars (not sure exact amount) to have it repaired. He also had electronics added at the same time.
So, he ended up with a very nice Taylor 12 string w/electronics for under $1000. He and I have done some recording of my original songs and I had a chance to play it on the recordings. You are right it sounds great (even this repaired model) and it felt nice to play also. Maybe I can run across an injured Taylor 12 string in need of some TLC and a good home.

Keep Playing
Ric

TGNeil

Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:51 pm

To got my first guitar for $100, in about 1980. A Yamaha FG-110, solid spruce top with maple back and sides. I totally rebuilt this guitar with new frets and tuners shortly after buying it.

About 17 years ago I stopped playing, in the early 90's. Last fall, 2008, I decided to give it a go again. But rather than learn in "back rooms and bar rooms" I wanted to learn properly and have lessons.

I found a used Washburn EA20 SDL with spruce top and flame maple back, BBand electronics. This is a narrow body concert/auditorium sized guitar with cutaway. To me it is best plugged in as the body is not a large "speaker box".

This year for my birthday I decided to treat myself to a Breedlove Pro Series guitar.

After much looking I found a practically new, unregistered, Breedlove C25/CR Herringbone with Breedlove case (massive!). Great tone once I put on the recommended D'Addario EXP16 strings. It can be plugged in using the built in L.R. Baggs Element Active PU. I love that it is hidden in the sound hole.

Not sure what I am going to do with the other two. I also have a PRS SE Custom Semi Hollow Electric Guitar in flame blue maple. All of these languish as I always reach for the best guitar in the house.

Do I want more guitars, heck yes! But I will now be looking to the Pro Breedlove level and upward. I played a friends Martin D45 Custom (he had made for him) and was blown away but at 10X what I paid for my Breedlove, that one will have to wait. At least I know someone who has one (actually 15 guitars at that level) and I can play them anytime I am in town. :woohoo: Image

Chasplaya

Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:49 am

rcsnydley wrote:
I already know what I want for my next two guitars, the type any way if not the brand. Next comes an electric guitar, I'd like a Les Paul, but then I'd a lot of things I might not get. After that comes a twelve string, brand unknown, I'll play them until I find one that's right. My local music store had a used Seagull twelve string that I played and really liked, so Seagull will be on the top of my list. I already have a Seagull six string and love it so that's another point in their favor.

Keep Playing
Ric
A goodie is the Takamine Law suit 12string if you can find one, its got the Martin style headstock, unlike mine which has the 'newer' Tak head, mine is a 1995 model quite high end but I got it real cheap from someone who didn't know what it was they were selling, admittedly when I bought it I thought it was a newer cheaper low end model so I didn't really know what I was buying. I bought sight unseen on a NZ auction site for $500NZ, new they cost around $3000NZ

otis

Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:11 am

Hi fellas,

I have a Simon & Patrick SP6 cedar top which i've had around 8/9 years and it's maturing nicely.

Music Junkie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:11 am

Well, since it was taking Martin FOREVER to get my backpacker here, I got nervous and purchased a Baby Taylor all mahogany model to make sure I had something for my backpacking trip in two weeks. I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised with the tone. Feels funny holding the 3/4 scale guitar, but easy to get used to and a great size to lug around in the back country. Meanwhile, the Martin Backpacker should still be coming someday..... Oh man, 6 now! I have to find a great place to hide them all in case of the divorce (help me, I cannot control myself).

MJ

AcousticAl

Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:30 am

You know what they say...
You don't own the guitar-- the guitar owns YOU!!

(or guitars.. whichever the case:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic