Buying a guitar.....?

reiver

Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:23 pm

So here's the thing. I'm thinking of buying a new guitar. A nice guitar. Not as nice as some of you out there have - but nice nonetheless. Certainly nicer than my playing abilties would justify....I can hardly even play the one I've got! A nd there's the problem.........

You walk into the guitar shop. Stroll nonchalantly past the £100 guitars...past the £400 pound guitars...past the £800 guitars - people start looking round - where is he going - past the £1200 guitars - the room goes quiet, heads start to turn, and then you find yourself amongst the Taylors, Martins, Collings, Lowdens etc. Your eye falls on the guitar of your dreams. You sit down, place it on your lap and.....

What? :S

What do you do next? What do you do to prevent the people in the shop sniggering and rolling their eyes as you sit there? What exercises should I go through on this new guitar to ensure that I know that it plays and sounds like the guitar that I want to buy?

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:27 pm

...intro to Stairway to Heaven....:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

reiver

Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid the eyes rolling.......

haoli25

Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:34 pm

REIVER, pay no attention to the people in the store. This is YOUR investment and your choice for a guitar. Pretend there is no one else in the store. Play all of the songs, chords, and riffs that you normally play at home. Regardless of price, the right guitar for you will sell itself to you. You'll know when you have the right one. Best of luck to you and enjoy your new guitar.

Bill

ffsooo3

Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:35 pm

What would you play on the $100 guitar? Or the $400 or $800 guitars? Start playing the low end models - 1st position chords (like E, D, and G). What's the sound like? Nice lows and highs? Nice full sound? Easy to play? Then do the same on the 400's and 800's and the 1200s. You might find that you like the tone and feel of the $400 models. Maybe not. But high end guitars aren't necessarily all they're cracked up to be. I've tried $3000 Martins and they don't compare to my 1983 Ovation Anniversary (that I paid $250 for back in 1983)....

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:06 pm

Good advice ffsoo, it's the feel and sound that counts.... ignore the price tag until you want to leave the store with one in your hand. Maybe then you should take a look!

NKenny

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:13 pm

The advice everyone has given you is true.Play them all and see what you like regardless of price. The Avitar I have up was when I was at the Martin Guitar factory.They let you go in a room and play guitars that are worth more than every thing I own. To my ears I'm not sure there was that much of a difference to justify the price compared to guitars that cost much less. It all comes down to what sounds good and plays well for you.

Kenny

goldleaf

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:20 pm

Blueridge is also a brand (if available) to give a try. I have several more expensive guitars but they don't sound or play much if any better than my Blueridge. My point is that the previous post has a lot or merit. Above $800 US or close you may find a guiar that has been constructed w/ the combination of woods that give it that special sound. I don't try to perform or play complete songs when comparing guitars, just play some chords up the fretboard and listen for how long they ringout, volume and tone and how easily they play although that can be adjusted. Pick 6 or so little riffs, chord changes where you can listen in detail to it's sound, then do the same thing with another guitar and you will start eliminating the ones that just don't sing out as well, without having to demonstrate any real playing ability. Play a full barre chord in the 10th and 12th frets and listen for bass and the treble and how it sounds through the full range. Play some notes & chords with your fingers, how does it sound struming with your thumb vs a pick, think of all the ways you can test the sound..It's not how well you play when shoping for a new guitar but how they perform. You might have a problem in chosing between guitars but that's the type of problem you want, two or 3 guitars that sound & play great to chose from. You just might be surprised that the one you favor isn't the most expensive. Have fun & enjoy the opportunity to compare a number of top end or upper end guitars, how ofter do you buy a new (nice) guitar? Gary

reiver

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:21 pm

mmmm, thanks for the advice, but not sure if I like the idea of trying a guitar without knowing the price. If you try one and instantly take a liking to it, check the price and it's way out of your budget - whatever you buy will end up being a compromise. You'll leave the shop thinking, if only...... Always at the back of your head will be the one that you couldn't afford.

goldleaf

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:35 pm

I must have not have communcated my thoughts very well, sorry. I didn't in any way mean to not be aware of the price of the guitar, in fact that's probably the first thing I'd look at. As far as price all I ment was that the most expensive guitar may not be the one you end up liking best. Thats all. Anything past that was poor writing on my part. Sorry. Anyway buying a "nice" guitar dosen't happen to often for most of us, enjoy it. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic