cell phone software for guitar

quincy451

Tue May 05, 2009 10:47 pm

I saw a guitar tuner for IPHONE, and a practice guitar piece of software that presented the first 5 or 6 frets for the truely addicted. (I think I might be getting there)...

Well, I don't have a IPHONE. I have verzion wireless and my phone is a LG Env2. It runs the brew operating system by qualcomm and they have done everything they can think of to lock me out of developing my own applications for it. Only tempting if you are a software developer. But not worth to me the extra $300 I would have spent for a windows ME phone. This one was one of those give me phones.

Well, I was browsing the listing of available software and I found two pieces of software for download to the phone.

Guitar Hero III. Yea I can play that on my phone. It is played by pressning numbers across the top 10 digits on the full keyboard to match the notes scrolling. It is fun for a few minutes. More than that and it just becomes frustrating.

Then I downloaded this combo app.
It is a guitar tuner, and a metronome. To tune the guitar you really tune against the 12th fret harmonics. For as they tell you the mic on the cell phone cuts out the lower frequencies of open strings. The IPHONE software I read has similar issues. It actually works. But it has in no way replaced my Korg GA-30 tuner. The other is just way easier to use. The metronome is basic. You pick the speed and that is about it. I would like to hear something different on 1, and then 2, 3, and 4. Can't do that here. But I would definately use it like at a party of someone pulls out there old accoustic.

Orginally I was going to write this app myself to fill avoid in there available software. The first thing that caused me to pause was the IPHONE software indicated teh cell phone mic really isn't cut out for this. Then I downloaded this software. But alas this software has much room for improvement.

Now if only QUALCOMM didn't have these phones locked up beyond belief. You have to send your phone off to have it setup as a test phone, then you have to pay $400 for the ability to test software on it. Not to mention the tools are hard to come by. Oh well...so it goes...

So the quesetion here is has anyone else played with any guitar software on cell phones? I find it very interesting. Me I would like to put tuner, metranome, and chord finder on there. All within range if I gather the right tools...

So it goes...

Chasplaya

Wed May 06, 2009 8:02 pm

I have a Treo 650 and I have dowloaded a lot of freeware onto it, a Tuner, Metronome a Chord generator , a fretboard tutor which helps with scales. Palm OS

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic