Guitar Pick

bhudson

Sat May 09, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi,

I am finding my Guitar Pick is moving around allot as I play. My hands are very dry due to the work I do.

I have been thinking of adding something to my pick to help stop it floating around.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Brad

wrsomers

Sun May 10, 2009 10:17 am

When playing electric I used to use Gorilla Snot.

rcsnydley

Sun May 10, 2009 11:13 am

Brad - I know what you mean about dry hands and moving pick. What I do is actually breathe on the pick and my fingers before I use it. Sounds strange but it warms and slightly moistens my fingers and the pick and they then kind of stick together.

Keep Playing
Ric

BigBear

Sun May 10, 2009 2:02 pm

I use a Jim Dunlop pick that has a raised pattern on the finger part and it holds the pick tight and I don't drop as many anymore. They're gray and come in different thicknesses.

Happy PLayin'

kelly454

Sun May 10, 2009 5:06 pm

Dunlop also makes a nice gel pick that as your fingers warms the pick, it gets stickier.

spags

Sun May 10, 2009 7:57 pm

a gel pick? sounds interesting. i just went out to guitar center to pick up some picks. wish i had read this post first. i would have looked for them. next time...

kelly454

Tue May 12, 2009 11:19 pm

Just to make it clear on the Gel pick. The whole pick is not gel. It has some kind of a gel coating on the fat end. I tried one out and it sticks too good for me. I actually move the pick around in my fingers while playing at times and the pick seemed uncomfortable to me since it stuck right there.

Guitarmom

Wed May 13, 2009 11:33 am

My spouse swears by 'Herdim' picks when playing mandolin. They have hundreds of little bumps on one end... where your fingers grasp the pick. They come in all different gauges. They can be hard to find at your local guitar store, but are available online. They are from Germany. They come in a variety of shapes, but we use the standard 'fender sideman' teardrop shape.

spags

Wed May 13, 2009 2:35 pm

kelly454 - it ends up i actually did get the gel pick without even knowing it. i asked for a bag of dunlop light picks and didn't even notice the word gel on the bag until today. i really like this pick although i don't notice that that it get stickier as it warms up.

i use light picks when playing rhythm on my acoustic because i think it gives a much better sound. i'll use a medium gauge pick on the acoustic if i'm playing more of a lead or solo. on my electric i use medium and occasionally a heavy gauge pick.

bhudson

Wed May 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Wow, Thanks for all the options! I am going to go do some pick shopping this weekend. I use a very light pick with lots of flex as I am just starting out and that could be a reason as well as it is very thin. I am going to try one of the Dunlop pick and see how it goes.

Thanks
Brad

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic