Finger Stretching

rcsnydley

Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:46 am

As I have small hands I am always looking for ways to get them to "act bigger" as it were. I am trying to get my stretch from four frets (max on a good day) to five fret (comfortably). To that end I am looking for ways to stretch out my fretting hand fingers. I am sure there are others who would also find this beneficial.
I am also sure many of you have ideas and techniques to help achieve this. As of now I have taken the caps from bottled water bottles and have put them between my fingers.
So, if anyone has any ideas or techniques to help stretch the reach of your fretting hand fingers lets hear them.

Thanks

Keep Playing
Ric

patsfan420

Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:40 pm

Hey there,
I have the same problem. It's a real bummer.

pak452

Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:05 pm

I know what you're saying. I have short fingers with arthritis starting. I would like to know how to loosen them up as well.

rcsnydley

Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks Joe, but for now I think I'll stick to the bottle caps. It looks like a device from a medieval torture chamber. :unsure:

haoli25

Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:38 pm

I know it's an old remedy, but it works for me. I just squeeze an old tennis ball to strengthen the muscles in the fingers. And I use the 'dreaded' 3, 4, and 5 fret stretch to improve dexterity. I just do that as I am watching the news on TV in the evening.

rcsnydley

Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks haoli, perhaps you could tell everyone exactly what the 'dreaded' 3, 4, and 5 fret stretch you use is. I have seen one video on some exercise (I will try to find and post), so I'm wondering what you use.

haoli25

Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:45 pm

Sorry RC SNYDLEY, I guess I could have been a little more clear for the benefit of some of the new 'pickers'.

The 3 - 4 - 5 fret stretch I was taught goes like this...
Index finger to middle finger - 3 frets, index to ring finger - 4 frets, index to little finger - 5 frets. Then reverse, little finger to ring finger - 3 frets, little finger to
middle finger - 4 frets, etc. You really don't have to pluck any notes, just keep repeating the stretches.

Even now, I find it is a good warm up for my old arthritic fingers before I begin to play.

6string

Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:11 pm

I'm thinking custom made guitar. There are lots of smaller scale guitars out there but they're usally kids or beginner guitars made of cheap materials.
I would get a smaller scale one made with top grade materials.
Have your tried playing a Parlor guitar or a Travel guitar?

rcsnydley

Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:04 pm

Thanks haoli, I am going to try that.
6string, I have not tried either a parlor or a travel guitar and my budget does not include a new guitar any time soon. Besides I would like to increase my stretch anyway as I'm sure a lot of guitarist would.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic