Beginner trying to learn bar chords

mikerino

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:25 am

In one of Neil's videos he says that it can take six months to a year to learn to do bar chords. Does anyone have advice about how to get started? Some exercizes or something?
Thanks.

MiceElf

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am

One is just to practice them! It is important to really get your thumb behind the neck and "pinch" the neck between thumb and barring finger. Make sure you barre as close to the fret as possible. You can tell how you are doing by slowly strumming ALL the strings and listening for any that are muted or rattling.

I'm not sure in what context Neil said it might take 6 months, but most beginners who work at it should get it in less time. Practice, practice, practice!

MiceElf

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:37 am

Found this that might be helpful:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBnS4uhaXAI

dustystrings

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:39 am

I learned to play guitar using only barre chords because I thought it was easier to move up and down the fingerboard with an E or Am shape than it was to learn a bunch of different chords (self taught, can you tell?).

I would play Sugar Magnolia using only barre chords for as long as my fingers could handle sliding around. Finally one day I noticed I wasn't having any problems. Since it was the only thing I was trying to learn at the time it didn't take long, certainly not six months to a year. I guess when it comes right down to it, it was just a lot of repetition.

I don't know of any exercises really, just make your barre and move around change the shapes here and there. Maybe a twelve bar blues with an E shape bouncing occasionally to the A and back. G, C, D is pretty easy.

If you want a real song, look at "Creep" by Radiohead, it is nothing but barre chords, and kinda cool too.

mikerino

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks guys, that should get me started.

AcousticAl

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:31 pm

Our pleasure. Be prepared that your fingers and muscles will get sore--but once you've got it, you've got it!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic