Incorporating Scales

silverboy

Mon May 11, 2009 9:46 pm

Hey all,

I don't like practicing scales because I never use them. I don't use them because I don't know them. It's a conundrum.

Don't get me wrong, I've practiced them, tried to learn them (minor pentatonics, major scales etc) but I can't figure out how to incorporate them. I can't remember what I don't use.

Can anyone help me figure out how to make scales fun and want to use them? Is there a good song I should learn that uses them to connect a chord progression?

thanks!

dtaylor

Tue May 12, 2009 1:20 am

Playing scales just to play them would turn off most guitarists--it would me! The only time I really think about them is when I'm soloing. Once you are familiar with a few popular scales my advice would be to play a simple chord progression and incorporate a two or three-note run between chord changes. Take the notes from the appropriate scale (e.g.: minor pentatonic for blues, rock, etc.) and have fun with it. You'll learn how the scale notes fit into the progression, what works, and what doesn't.

rcsnydley

Tue May 12, 2009 9:32 am

Another thing you can do if you have a way to record yourself is to record a 2 - 4 chord progression. Then play it back and work on leads over it.

Remember leads are not scales. One way to do it to start with just one note and play a rhythmic lead, then increase to two notes, etc. It isn't the amount of notes (or different notes) you play it's what you do with them that makes a good lead.

I hope this helps out some.

Keep Playing
Ric

silverboy

Sun May 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Thanks guys. I'll give these ideas a try.

Chasplaya

Tue May 19, 2009 6:39 pm

Neil does a couple of good videos where you improvise and play the Blues scale while he plays the backing. Its good fun and helps make sense of scales to newbies. (and oldies!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic