New Strings

Valleyguy

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:43 pm

Two things to look for in changing strings. The first for me is that the guitar becomes harder to tune. Older strings as they deteriorate are jsut harder to tune. If you're relatively new to the guitar the inability to notice strings not in tune with each other may not be obvious, even with a tuner. the second is how the strings sound. I happen to like old mellow string sound. New strings are too harsh and bright for me. Also some guitars sound terrible with old stings (my Martin) whicle some seem to go on and on with old strings (my Guild). So the sound will be a personal thing. Playign about 5 hours a week, my Martin needs string every 4 to 6 weeks, my Guild 2 to 3 months. Also how do they look. If the wrapped strings are starting to discolor, that's a tip.

Coated strings (Elixir, D'Addario EXP) will last 2 to 3 times longer than regular strings, but cost at least double.

Phosphor Bronze strings last a little longer than bronze strings, which have a brighter sound, but fade rapidly.

D'Addario phosphor bronze light is pretty much the most popular string, and for good reason, consistent quality, good middle of the pack sound. For newbies, look for bargains.

Strings and Beyond http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ and Elderly http://www.elderly.com/ is where I get my strings online, good prices, fast service.

Valleyguy

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:49 pm

Here's an excellent instructional on how to restring an acoustic guitar:

http://www.frets.com/fretspages/Musicia ... ging1.html

BigBear

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:39 pm

Chuck McGourty wrote:
I use Cleartone (coated) light gauge acoustic on a Martin D18. The Martin company recommends Martin Acoustic Light's but the Cleartones sound better and last longer. They're pricey but you can order them on-line from Musician's Friend for around $11.00.
Never heard of this company before but I put a set of these on my Larrivee L-10 a few months ago and they still sound great!! I am very impressed with these strings after years of loving D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Lights (still a great string if you like changing them frequently so they stay crisp!).

They may cost a little more but the coating they use is very light keeping the highs clear but resisting the acid in my fingers. Chuck is right on with this string!!

BigBear

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:42 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
You know hank I think the thing to do is try some different brands and when you find some you like stick with them.

Keep Playing
Ric
Ric is right, try different brands AND gauges until you find the combination that makes the guitar sound great and still is easy to play. Lighter isn't always better!!

machoy4617

Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:54 pm

what are tusk rods and why would they need adjusting for a new change of strings if different to the strings already on my guitar

machoy4617

Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:57 pm

sorry I should of said truss rod. What are they and why would you have to have them adjusted if putting on a new set of strings of different guage from the strings on the guitar at the moment

haoli25

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:12 pm

Machoy, The Truss Rod runs down the center of the neck of your guitar. It keeps the neck straight. When you put on heavier gauge strings, the increased tension will cause the neck to want to bow forward. Adjustment of the Truss Rod can compensate for that. Ideally, the strings should be the same height above the fretboard at the first fret as they are at the 20th fret. If the strings are considerably higher off the fretboard at the 15th to 20th fret as compared to the first fret, that's a good indication that the neck has bowed and the truss rods needs adjustment.
The adjustment on an acoustic guitar is made inside the guitar body with an Allen Wrench where the neck joins the body. Great care must be taken with this adjustment!!!! If you have never done this before, it is probably a good idea to take your guitar to a local guitar shop and have them make the adjustment for you. More than a few guitars have been completely ruined by someone over-adjusting the truss rod!

I hope this helps.

Haoli

machoy4617

Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:07 am

Hi haoli25

Thanks for your reply. This is very helpfull. I have a 0.5 to 1mm diff between 1st and 20th fret surley that is not a job to get the truss rod adjusted.
I am looking to put new strings on my guitar (Santa Ana TF656P 6 string).I was thinking i would like a more quieter sound. What strings would be best.

I was also wondering if my guitar was any good.(Santa Ana TF656P 6 string)

If anyone can help me i would be very greatfull

machoy4617

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:29 am

Thanks for your reply. This is very helpfull. I have a 0.5 to 1mm diff between 1st and 20th fret surley that is not a job to get the truss rod adjusted.
I am looking to put new strings on my guitar (Santa Ana TF656P 6 string).I was thinking i would like a more quieter sound. What strings would be best.

I was also wondering if my guitar was any good.(Santa Ana TF656P 6 string)

If anyone can help me i would be very greatfull

Guitarmom

Wed May 06, 2009 8:12 am

I am interested in hearing comments about Elixer strings. I have read the info on their site but would like to hear some feedback from those who have used them. I am going to try the Acoustic Guitar PolyWeb strings on my Martin D28. (currently use Martin FX 80/20 Bronze)

1. Do they last longer?

2. Do they have the same clean sound as uncoated strings?

3. Have you found they reduce finger squeaking?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic