Gunk!

bobthomas

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:59 am

Hi there,

I stopped giging a long while back now but I have a pickup (Mimex) gaffataped to ny guitar.

I was young and foolish.

Now I know I could take it off and remove the gunk that gaffa tape leaves behind with some serious chemicals, but I don't want to damage the varnish (or the wood!!!) do any of you have some suggestions as to what is the best stuff to use? My current thinking is 'Wood Alcohol (or Isopropyl Acohol / Propanol to those in the Chem-know) but I'm not sure what it would do to the guitar.
I know this isn't exactly a 'guitar playing' question, but it is kind of related to the whole giging trade and if others are thinking of using this stuff for taping pick-up cables around the edge of your guitar then please try and think of something else, it leaves a real mess when you take it off! LOL!

Bob Thomas (Alba).

jim rivard

Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:50 pm

Vegetable oil will remove tape residue.

Chasplaya

Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:17 am

Look at the site Frets.com this is a proabl;y the best luthier site on the net with heaps of tips on how to do minor to extensive repairs. Apart from that it si just a cool site with lots of great information about guitars in general

Lefty

Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:50 pm

As I understand it Eucalyptus oil will remove sticker residue.
Before you rub it into the finish, do a test on a place on your guitar that will not normally be noticed and use only the tiniest amount.
If it goes wrinkly or white or discolours in any way, don't go any further with eucalyptus.:dry: :ohmy:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic