Guitar Repairs

rcsnydley

Fri May 08, 2009 11:23 am

ffsooo3 wrote:
Hi gingold, a guy who has had lots of repairs done has recommended a luthier in Brattleboro (45 minutes away). I have not contacted him yet. I plan to bring the guitar to him this summer to discuss the possibilities (ie. repair or replace) and what the results will be (ie. how will the sound be affected, etc.). Do you have any suggestions for me as to the questions I should ask and/or what to watch out for? Thanks.
I would ask him what he/she thinks caused this crack in the first place. Also, what can you do to prevent it from happening again? And lastly, how will this affect your guitar's tone? Of course, asking how much it will cost will let you know if it's worth it. If the repairs cost more than the guitar is worth you have a decision to make. If the luthier is good it should be no problem fixing most cracks--it's not an uncommon problem.

rcsnydley

Fri May 08, 2009 11:27 am

dustystrings wrote:

Can anybody recommend a guitar humidifier?
I use a Dampit that comes with a humidity gauge. There are a lot of humidifiers on the market--all of them probably effective. Fortunately for me I live in western Oregon where the humidity is great for guitars all year so I almost never use a humidifier. The bumps concern me. Are they in the wood or the finish?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic