New electric guitar

Andersson 92

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:44 am

Hi, I know this topic is called acoustic guitars but I would really like some help. Im about to buy a new electric guitar but I dont know what kind of guitar is the most suitable for the kind of music I play. Im looking for a guitar that can play country and classic rock witch is the genres I play most of the time, but still want to be able to play allmost everything:). The guitars price has to be somewhere between 500-800. please give me some advice and suggestions.

rcsnydley

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:32 am

andersson - I think the advice for buying an electric guitar is the same as for buying an acoustic. You need to go to as many music stores as you can and play as many guitars as you can. Play some of the songs you will be playing and find the guitar that not only sounds like what you want for those songs, but also feels right. I wish I had $500-800 to spend on an electric guitar, I only have an acoustic and would love to add an electric to mix.

Happy hunting
Ric

tgjameela

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Like rcsnydley said, go to a music store and play as many in your price range as you can. That said, you might want to try some Telecasters. They perform equally well in Country and Rock. The American Standards (the ones made in the U.S.) are out of your price range, but there are some Mexican made ones that should be around $700. I have a '72 Tele Custom that's a MIM (Made in Mexico). I simply can't afford an original. I've played both and while there's nothing like a vintage guitar these MIM's are a quality alternative that look, feel, and sound very close to their American made cousins. Also check out Craigslist or your local paper--you might find a good used one for less $$.

Overall any electric guitar with single coil pickups can get you that Twangy country sound, Chicago blues sound, or a classic rock sound.

Andersson 92

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks! I´ll try that. I´ve sort of fallen in love with Ibanez. I know these are mostly used to play metal but do they work fine with other genres to?

Andersson 92

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Sure!! Don't let anyone tell you you can't play a certain type of music with a particular guitar. Sure, some guitars have a particular sound, but if you like how it sounds for what you're doing that's all that matters! Heck, what if someone told Jimi Hendrix "you shouldn't play that Stratocaster upside down!!" The only opinion that matters is yours!

Lefty

Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:28 pm

New is always good when it comes to guitars, but $800 must just about reasonably get both an acoustic and an electric guitar from the second hand market place.

Andersson 92

Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:30 am

Ok, thanks again:)

Andersson 92

Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:39 am

I allready have an acoustic guitar.

Whammy

Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:32 pm

Ibanez are good guitars.

If you want a really good Country tone though I'd make sure you get a guitar that has versatile pickup selection (so you can get that Telecaster-type 'twang'), but humbuckers are essential for rock. Coil Tapping is a feature you'd probably find extremely useful if you're switching genres from country to classic rock, so you can get single coil and humbucker sounds.

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:50 am

A '72 Telecaster Custom works well for that also. It has a single coil in the bridge position and a humbucker in the neck position. I love mine.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic