Guitar Pickguard Question

mwortman

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:31 pm

I have a question about a pickguard, maybe someone can help me. I just bought a New Alvarez MD 60 and they sent a self adhesive pickguard, should I put this on and do I need to. Its a all wood guitar with cedar top finish, it is a Satin finish. Will it mess up the finish.

thanks

cabro

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:42 pm

I suppose what matters most is the style of playing you'll be doing. If you do any serious strumming that will mess up the finish. My DX-1 is just over a year old and the pick guard on it has some serious marking. If you play mostly finger style, I wouldn't attach it. Having said that, the DX-1 is satin finish but the pick guard was attached at the factory.

cabro

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:43 pm

The big question is: do you use a pick mostly or do you fingerpick? If you use a pick I would suggest applying the guard to protect the guitar's finish. If you don't, leave it off and enjoy a more freely vibrating top! And, yes, once you apply the pickguard I wouldn't take it off after a while unless you want to leave "tan lines".

Edited: Cabro--you beat me by 1 minute on this one!!:cheer:

wrench

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:47 pm

The adhesive on the pickguard is rubber based, and the bond it will form with the finish on the guitar is relatively weak, and will weaken even more over time. The bond between the finish and wood is (or at least should be) much stronger. The rubber will not react with the finish on the guitar, so it will be safe.

wrench

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:09 pm

On my Alhambra I had a choice of pickguard or no pickguard when I bought it, the Shop where I bought could see that I liked the glossy finish and suggested a transparent pickguard. I choose the transparent guard and in most lights you don't even notice it. So if the guard is transparent I'd go for it. Also as others have mentioned it depends on your style of playing but remember if its mostly fingerpicking and you are one of those players that anchor a finger the nitro finish will eventually become burnished if you use a guard that won't happen.

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Heres a pic of my Alhambra can you see the guard?

This frustrates me at times i'll try again

mwortman

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 pm

I use a pick and the pickguard is black

mwortman

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:18 pm

There is no picture

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:19 pm

mwortman wrote:
There is no picture
yeah I noted that but it said it was there, i'll try agaiin

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:20 pm

This time the pic of the Alhambra with transparent guard Image

Frustrating I don't get it its small enough its a JPEG so frustrated. Hey Its also in My Photos album. Check there

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic