Are you stuck like me?

rcsnydley

Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:55 am

I consider myself an intermediate player who also feels a lot of the frustrations being addressed here.

I do however know many songs all the way through, I am a singer though more than a guitar player. I can't imagine playing guitar without singing as I started playing, many years ago, as a way to accompany my singing.

My problem though is that when the song gets beyond a certain level of difficulty I have trouble getting it all together and playing it. I do realize that as a beginning player I did not get all of the basics down correctly and am now going back to learn them (thanks to Neil's beginning lesson, never to late to learn old stuff).

I have been trying to get better at fingerstyle also, but have to admit sometimes I get frustrated and go back to just strumming, it is a constant battle. But, it really boils down to what has been said many times before practice, practice, practice. If we were not a persistent bunch we never would have gotten to the intermediate level in the first place.

Keep Playing
Ric

BigBear

Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:07 am

rcsnydley wrote:
... I am a singer though more than a guitar player. I can't imagine playing guitar without singing as I started playing, many years ago, as a way to accompany my singing.
Ric- this may be a little off-topic but I'd love to see some instruction here, or elsewhere, about becoming a better singer. I love to sing but according to my wife, I suck (she may have been slightly more diplomatic but not much!).

I can give s speech in front of 3,000 people (and have) without batting an eye but if I have to sing in front of somebody I become scared sh....ss!! I'm working hard to overcome this terror!

Rick

rcsnydley

Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:39 am

Rick - I have made a suggestion in the Feedback section about adding some new boards. One of them was Singing.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum?fun ... 11&id=2666

Check out this thread and add anything you'd like to it. Neil said he liked the suggestions and is working on adding new boards to the forum.

As to getting better singing, suggestions I can offer is to look around the web and find anything you can on singing. There is a lot of helpful material out there. Find a local vocal coach and take some lessons, budget is a consideration here. And of course the old standby, sing whenever you can without the threat of hurting someone or being arrested, LOL.

With me it sort of comes naturally, BUT I need to constantly work on it or the quality deteriorates. I may still have a pleasant voice but what I can do with it becomes very limited. So, once again it comes down to practice, practice, practice.

Keep Singing
Ric

TG-Ronald

Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:34 am

Hey guys,

I feel ya frustrations.

One of the things Neil told me when we had a VERY long talk (lol) about what he feels is the best way to start for "Beginners" (yes I know many of you are Intermediate players)is to learn the beginner songs he teaches in T.A.R.G.E.T.

The theory is, from what he has done with his students over the last 40+ years is that when you can handle the beginner tunes... then those open the doors to almost any other song.

Speaking to Neil a few minutes ago, he said... "Once you get through the Beginner 5 lessons in T.A.R.G.E.T. then you;re ready for the easiest songs on the list of songs inside T.A.R.G.E.T.

...meaning that there is a list of songs labeled by difficulty and once you go through the beginner 5 which should be a review for you guys, you should really go after playing the songs rated a 1 or so.

Neil's been busy as you guys know, but he is going to review this thread.

Warmest regards,
Ronald

P.S. - Kick Ass and take names AcousticAl... way to go! Persistence pays...

AndyT

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:49 pm

Beginning 5? Which ones are those?

It would help if the songs were all labeled "This one first", "That one second.." As it stands, Neil says something about it in the video for it about it being a beginner song. It would be great if they were labeled very simply, plainly and in LARGE print for the blind among us. (said, as I adjust my bifocals)

Also, are they on the free side or the Target side? (That might be a huge difference since I can't see that side...)

SONG 1 - Freebird?
SONG 2 - ?
SONG 3 - ?
SONG 4 - ?
SONG 5 - ?

map4242

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:41 pm

There is a list of the songs in order of difficulty, but it's posed on the TARGET side.

The TARGET menu also has Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced sections.

Once you click on Beginner, you find the lessons to which TG-Ronald referred.

Mark

(edit, added sample)
Difficulty Level

Level 1
Lucky Man

Level 2
Don’t Fear The Reaper (Riff only)
House Of The Rising Sun
My My Hey Hey
Norwegian Wood
Teach Your Chlidren

Level 3

Lavallee

Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:46 am

I have suggestion to help all levels. It think it would useful if with each lesson, there would be an exercise to practice which would relate to a difficulty present in the song. It could be all kind of things like rhythm, bar chrord exercise, strumming, fingerpicking exercise, the appropriate scale for the song, etc... I think the exercise or scale would mean more than having exercises on their own without an application. You could then enjoy learning the song and still learn theory or tricks.

I am an intermediary player as well and moving up to the next level is getting more difficult as I only learn the song but do not have a real method of improving my weakness (which are numerous)>

Thanks

Marc

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:15 am

AndyT wrote:
Beginning 5? Which ones are those?

Also, are they on the free side or the Target side? (That might be a huge difference since I can't see that side...)
Thats because you are on the Dark Side Anakin, may the force be with you and may you move to the Bright TARGET side

AndyT

Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:28 am

*heavy breathing noises*
Chas, use the force Chas. There is no 'try' only 'do'.

Hey! The Boss gave me some money and I joined up! Of course I was only able to squeeze a months worth from her, but if I'm a good little jedi and keep my room clean, I might get to pay for next month also.:laugh:

Music Junkie

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:35 am

AndyT wrote:
*heavy breathing noises*
Chas, use the force Chas. There is no 'try' only 'do'.

Hey! The Boss gave me some money and I joined up! Of course I was only able to squeeze a months worth from her, but if I'm a good little jedi and keep my room clean, I might get to pay for next month also.:laugh:
LOL!

My wife was more than happy to let me join. She says it keep me from cursing as much as I used to.......

Plus at only $20/Mo., it is not so bad.

As a note, I can play about 25-30 songs part way through, but only 3 all of the way through with singing. Those are "Much Too Young" by Garth Brooks, "Lyin' Eyes" by The Eagles and "He Went To Paris" by Jimmy Buffet.

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic