Travel Guitars

pappa_d

Fri May 01, 2009 9:13 pm

i have one of the original harvey leach voyage air's. it's fantastic. the new one's are fine also, in fact they have a better hinge than the originals. they also have varying levels of quality starting at around 1k and going up. these are actually guitars, and good ones that happen to fold in half. when you open them up you'll find that they are in tune. it's a trip. i have a lot of first hand experience with these. they happen to come from my home town and i'm personal friends with the management of voyage air. they are solid guitars and well worth the money.

Guitarmom

Fri May 01, 2009 9:23 pm

That is wonderful to hear! I have been corresponding with Harvey on a number of topics. He is warm and friendly and has shared a picture of a very special inlay he created for Nick's guitar. It is an inlay of a Celtic Cross similar in many respects to a Pectoral cross that was made for my Ordination. Thank you for the heads up!
Rev Kate

pappa_d

Fri May 01, 2009 9:52 pm

you're welcome, i've known harvey for a long time. he is an exceptional person and a fantastic luthier. his inlay work is world famous.

chip

Mon May 04, 2009 10:51 pm

I tried the Voyager at a retail store, and was very impressed. It sounded and played very nice. But too pricey for me (over $1500). I ended up getting an "OG Basic" guitar from Brunner Guitars in Switzerland. The neck and strings detach, and it stores in a nice backpack that meets the airlines dimensions for a carry-on. The neck is not standard. It is 3 frets shorter, but it does tune to standard E by using heavy strings. It was convenient to take on the plane. However, I was very disappointed in the sound and playability. It sounded like a toy, and I just did not like the short neck.
I finally sold it on ebay, and bought a used Jasmine by Takamine dreadnought with a molded case for under $200. (I also have a Martin, but won't take it on a plane.) It was a good decision. I have check it as baggage on several trips without any problems,an it arrives still in tune. It sounds very good, and playes well. The action is similar to my Martin. So when I return home, I can transistion back to my Martin quickly.

Chip

drkamal

Tue May 05, 2009 10:30 am

Hi guys, been reading the conversation and decided to put in my few cents worth! Last year I bought a Composite Acoustic (CA) Cargo which is a 3/4 sized guitar and made totally out of carbon. I did'nt get it because I needed a travel guitar but whilst on holiday in Honolulu I visited Dan's Guitars, tried out the Cargo that was hanging on the wall, and was very surprised at the 'big' sound coming out from this 'small' guitar and left the shop with it. I was told that they were selling like hotcakes and in fact another guy bought one just a few minutes before me. I have not tried to bring it on a plane yet but because of the size I reckon you could easily bring it on board. Because it is made of carbon, it is quite light, could take a few knocks, has no set up issues and is not affected by any climate or temperature changes. I often chuck it in the boot of the car and bring it along when I have to spend the day at my mom's place. I would think that the CA Cargo would be an ideal travel guitar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic