Morris, dreadnought, acoustic, steel string,

jvargas454

Mon May 04, 2009 11:57 pm

From Matsumoto, Japan. I am looking for opinions about this guitar, because it is not well known. I looked for a guitar in Matsumoto, thinking I would come back with a great deal, great guitar and maybe a Takamine or Yamaha, but after listening to the guitars on hand, I really enjoyed playing this one. Originally, it came with heavy strings. When I returned to the U.S., it had a treable buzz. I didn't play it much, then one day, I experimented. I took off the strings, straighten the neck to a straight edge, then took off the bridge and filed off some of the plastic to lower the action, then I used light strings. I was pleasantly surprised. It has a great deep base and very nice highs. The range is balanced. Later, I installed a L.R. Baggs hole Pickup. I shorten the wires to the jack so that it wouldn't rub against the case. This could very well be my last acoustic guitar. I am very pleased. But when I get asked who makes the guitar, the reaction is blank, like they never heard of it.

What reputation does this manufacturer have?

6string

Tue May 05, 2009 10:05 am

Morris is a Japan-based luthier who copies more famous makers, such as Martin and Gibson. His guitars were not imported to the U.S. from the 1980's until 2001--which is why you get so many blank stares. According to what I've researched it sounds like the company makes fairly decent guitars in the mid-price range. They have a website: http://www.morrisguitars.com

jvargas454

Tue May 05, 2009 1:40 pm

Thank you for your reply. I bought this guitar eight years ago for $600 plus hard case. I think it was a good deal. When I wasn't playing it, because if the buzz, I went to Guitar Show Case to look for another. I found that some had a great base, but little highs or the other way around. This was true of even the expensive models. I am also very particular about guitar strings. I don't like the harpsichord sound like the Blue Steel Strings. I guess what this all comes down to is personal taste. Thanks again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic