How does one nurse an acoustic guitar?

micke1967

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:55 am

Hi
I wonder how one best take care of an acoustic guitar?
Advise on how to store it and to clean and so on??
Best Regards Micael from Sweden

richardk

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:05 am

Hi Micael,

in my opinion, it's best to keep your guitar in your case. As far as restringing and cleaning is concerned, these are two good videos from Taylor Guitars that have worked for me:

tgjameela

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:19 am

In its case certainly would keep it safer, but less accessible for playing. I keep mine on a stand with a rubber restraint that keeps it from falling out. Of course, the humidity in the room is suitable for a guiar. I use Gorgomyte between string changes for the fretboard (works wonders!) and just a polishing cloth for the body. Once in a while I'll use Martin polish on everything except the fretboard, but usually wiping it with a polishing cloth alone keeps it clean and gets rid of sweat marks, smudges, etc. I'll defer to the videos for string changes!

micke1967

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:00 am

Hey
Thanks Great vids...
And good tips as well.
best regards Micael

willem

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:20 am

The videos were great, but I really encourage the use of Gorgomyte instead of steel wool. Steel wool works great but it is messy and can wear down a fretboard over time. Gorgomyte not only cleans the fingerboard and makes the frets like new, but it conditions as well. For string cleaning I use John Pearse String Swipes. They really lengthen the strings' life, reducing corrosion and eliminating dirt and sweat.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic