Taylor 110

getarzan

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:11 pm

Howdy friends! I currently own a First Act acoustic guitar(Walmart). I'm looking to up grade before to long. Saw a Taylor 110 in a local music store. I really don't know that much about guitars but liked that one. Guitar World ranked it in their Top Ten Guitars under $1000 bucks,it sells for $680.00 including soft case,strings and tax. I would appreciate any and all opinions.

richardk

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:30 pm

I bought a 210 a few months ago. I also tested the 110 but I thought the 210 was better value. It sounded better and came with a hardcase. There are some things about Taylors that you got to like though. They have very thin necks, much like electric guitars. They sound pretty bright. The 210, in my opinion, needs .13 strings, which are hard to tackle for some people. But strumming doesn't sound right with .12s (fingerpicking is okay).

You can check out some of my youtube stuff at www.youtube.com/richardkmusic if you'd like to hear a 210 in action.

If I were you, I'd check out other guitars in the same price range too. Give them a good try and then pick the one you like best.

Chasplaya

Fri May 01, 2009 8:01 pm

richardk wrote:
They have very thin necks, much like electric guitars.
Whilst I don't own one I have played a few and the advice I've been given is that if you alternate a lot between electric and acoustic guitars then a Taylor is one way to go with acoustic as given similar style neck thickness to most electics it doesn't have an adverse effect on muscle memory.

getarzan

Fri May 01, 2009 9:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I guess what I really am trying to figure out is with practice will this guitar make it any easier for me to learn to play. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'm about a 2, so I just need to go ahead and buy it and learn to play it.

steve36

Sat May 02, 2009 9:00 am

Hi
I'm a bit of a Taylor fan, lots of people love them, lots of people can't stand them. I think the best option is going to your local store and playing as many guitars as you can.
Even two Taylor 110's can sound different. There are a lot of great guitars out there for the same money or less. The 210 and 110 have laminate backs and sides, it's not till you move up to the 310 that you get solid wood back and sides.
The Epiphone Masterbuilt get good reviews, another geat guitar is an Avalon, the ones made in Ireland are a little over your budget but you can find Avalon's made by Furchs (who also make the superb Stonebridge acoustics). Another you might want to consider is Cort, they make guitars for a lot of the big named companies and produce excellent guitars.
As I said, go play as many as you can, let your ears and hands decide and don't base your decision on the name alone
Steve

BigBear

Sat May 02, 2009 11:07 am

getarzan wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I guess what I really am trying to figure out is with practice will this guitar make it any easier for me to learn to play. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'm about a 2, so I just need to go ahead and buy it and learn to play it.
The great thing about Taylor is that even their very cheapest guitars play "like a Taylor". So a 110 or 210 will play like an 810, just without the fancy woods and case.

I've owned three Taylors, a 314, 710 and 855. I sold the 710 to one of best friends (huge mistake, now he won't give it back!!). While they don't all sound the same, they all play wonderfully.

My point is, if you play a guitar that has a great neck, regardless of looks or wood, you will learn faster and be able to play longer with less fatique. A huge mistake beginners make is buying a cheap guitar that is so hard to play you lose interest and pretty soon the guitar is a "Closet Queen" never to be played again. Plus, anything with the Taylor name on it will have good resale value later when hopefully you move up to a prettier guitar.

Finally, if you buy any guitar, including a Taylor, take it to a good luthier and spend $30-50 to have it set up properly. They will set the action right, make sure the neck is straight and the frets don't buzz. Don't be tempted by Taylor's great neck to set the action too low unless you will play amplified most of the time or are a delicate fingerstylist. If you are a strummer as most "2" guitarists are, a low action will sound terrible with the constant buzzing. Just a thought!

Happy Playin'

steve36

Sat May 02, 2009 11:17 am

If you are going to get the Taylor I know a super Taylor dealer. I'm in the UK but he is in the US. If you get the 110 and later decide to trade up then he will give you your full purchase price against a new Taylor (as long as it costs more)and his prices are very very hard to beat plus he's a great guy to talk to. I don't know if I can post his name here so PM me

Steve

drkamal

Mon May 04, 2009 5:23 am

Guitars come in many shapes, sizes and sounds. Different people have different tastes and different guitars may appeal differently to different people. For 1000 bucks you can get quite a decent guitar and have quite a range of choices. Checkout as many makes as you can before making a final choice. Buy the best that you can afford. What is important is that you must find it 'easy' to play and you must 'love' the sound. These 2 factors will make you play the guitar more often and the practice will make you a better player.
I have a few guitars myself but my favorite is the Taylor (714CE) which are well known for their playability, looks and sound. One of my other guitar is a Seagull guitar which are known for very good value and you often get more for what you pay when compared to other makes.
Again, try as many as you can and good luck!

goldleaf

Sat May 30, 2009 7:52 pm

I am looking for a acoustic/electric w/ single cutaway, don't want to spend more than $800 US $ &less would be great. I,ve narrowed it down to Seagull, Alvarez,Washburn, Yamaha APX900. Plat 60's style music , like fingerpicking want a bright sound with versatility. I don't live near any shops that carry most of these so I'm doing a lot of reading. I play my Little Martin W/ spruce top & I'ts gread but I want to be able toget to the upper frets & have a bigger sound. That's a lot I know but any advice from people who have played these would be appreciated. Thanks

Lavallee

Sat May 30, 2009 8:43 pm

I own a Yamaha APX 900 Crimson Burst. I have been playing for a while but I do not know much about guitar technology. I can tell you however that this guitar plays very well. The reason I choosed it is interesting. I went to this guitar store where they have a ton of models and brand. I did not know what to pick. While I was trying different model, this guy in the corner was playing amazingly (guitar connected on an amplifier). I decided to get closer to see what guitar he was playing. It turned out it was my cousin I had not seen for 15 years. I showed him some basic tunes 30 years ago, I stopped playing but he never did. Since he was not a sales guy I trusted his opinion.

He told me that he did not considered the brand but only the sound (he mainly fingerpick)the touch on the fretboard and the pickup. He thought it was the best deal quality price of all the guitar he tried. The cost is about $750.This guitar has a small body, so it is not ideal for strumming in a large room, but if you are playing in your house and mainly fingerpicking, like I do, it is a great guitar. If you have a good amplifier you will enjoy the new design 3 way pickup. It also has a tuner integrated which I like since I enjoy songs with alternate tuning. I bougth it a year ago and every now and then I try other guitars in stores for the fun of it and so far I would do the same thing again. Like any new guitar you should take it a luthier ($50-70) for a tune up.

Enjoy

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic