Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Steve
Am in Glasgow and would appreciate any help you could give

BigBear

Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:22 pm

machoy4617 wrote:
Steve
Am in Glasgow and would appreciate any help you could give
Steve- didn't know we had any Glaswegian's on the forum! Great town with the River Clyde rolling through it. Spent some time there many moons ago. Truly enjoyed the country and people. Oh, and I forgot to mention the single malts, Scotland's contribution to a civilized world! Enough single malt and I don't care how badly I play the guitar!!

Happy Playin'

Rick

Chasplaya

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:38 pm

BigBear wrote:
machoy4617 wrote:
Steve

Truly enjoyed the country and people. Oh, and I forgot to mention the single malts, Scotland's contribution to a civilized world! Enough single malt and I don't care how badly I play the guitar!!

Happy Playin'

Rick
Hey Rick there are a few Scotsmen on the site even though I am based in New Zealand, Single malts make any one sound good (in their opinion lol)I know I play tenfold better ...not!! Any way back on topic a lot of good advice here about what you play and what style etc, but the thing is if someone is starting out they may not yet have made that call and are not sure what you like and where you want to take it. From recollection guitars in your price range would be Seagull brand, my nephew in Aberdeen had one and it sounded really cool. The thing is play as many types/brands as you can, get the feel for it, if you like the sound etc. But to get good sound you usually need a solid top guitar not a laminated one. Although alway the exception to the rule I have an old Epiphone PR400 its a laminate top solid back and sides but it sounds really good.

So a myriad of advice for you so far, take pointers from all i.e. body size, neck style/size solid vs laminate, if you know style you want to develop. But the best thing, play as many different ones you can and don't be blinded by brand, I was convinced Martin was the way to go until I got my Alhambra and just love her sound ( I still like Martins but they are not the be all and end all)

Tintin

Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:55 pm

My current acoustic is an unplugged Telecaster. For ergonomic reasons, I've been thinking about getting a Composite Acoustics guitar.

haoli25

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Hey TINTIN, I'm a fan of the Telecaster, plugged or unplugged!:)

If you are looking for a composite acoustic have you checked
out the Yamaha SLG100S Silent String? Most reviews I have
read about them are pretty good.

Happy playin'

Tintin

Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:39 am

The Tele is great unplugged, but a bit too quiet for some purposes, and I really think I ought to get a more traditional type acoustic guitar.

I had read about the Yamaha Silent String guitars previously. Wild concept!

The Composite Acoustic guitars have garnered some good reviews also, and, in some ways, they're closer to traditional acoustic guitars than the Silent String guitars. I'm planning on at least trying out a Composite Acoustic model soon.

agentcooper

Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:36 pm

I've had some luck with Blueridge guitars, pretty much everything they make is under a grand. I liked the Trinity College model, and the BR-43 model. Check 'em out, they're definitely worth a shot, but it may be a problem finding a dealer in your area, cause I think they're out of south SF.

-Dale

galnpdx

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:29 am

+1 for Cooper
I was A/B some Martins in a store awhile back and there was some Bluerigde guitars I had read about, I was impressed at the tone. Sounded as good,atleast the one I played on as the Martin I had been. I am a BIG Alverez fan though for guits, and Taks and Guilds and and and.....:woohoo: if it speaks to you, thats the one you should get. I have a REALLY high end Martin speaking to me like crazy.. must resist!

haoli25

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:39 am

Give in to the 'Dark Side' GAINPDX. You know you deserve it. :S

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic