Best Guitar for an Intermediate Guitar player

machoy4617

Mon May 04, 2009 10:29 am

Hi Everyone

I would like to buy a new guitar but dont really know what is best. I have played alot of guitars ( Taylor, Martin's, ect)in the shops but feel the sales person try's to get you to buy the one he likes not the one best suited to you.
Have a guitar called a santa ana but find it pretty useless. It has not got really good action and is a beginners guitar so this is why I am wanting to buy a new guitar. I will probally pay up to around £500 / £600

larry g

Mon May 04, 2009 11:38 am

I think some questions have to be answered first. First, what style(s) of music do you play? Fingerstyle? Flat pick? Hard chord strumming? Second, what kind of tone do you like in a guitar? Deep bass? Bright treble?

Once you have an idea what sound you're after (which can include tonewoods, body size, etc.) try as many guitars in your price range that satisfy those requirements. I wouldn't get too hung up on brand names. Whether it's a Martin, Taylor, Larivee, or something else, you'll know you're getting a good guitar that you'll enjoy playing and will sound nice. Remember, a lot of guitar stores only carry certain brands, so naturally they'll steer you toward makes and models they carry. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as the guitar you choose is what you really want. Good luck and enjoy the search!

haoli25

Mon May 04, 2009 11:59 am

Gingold is right. Play as many guitars as you can at a lot of different shops, BUY the one you can't put down! If that guitar is a little more than your budget allows, SAVE for it. It's a decision you'll never regret.

keep pickin'

machoy4617

Tue May 05, 2009 4:46 am

I play alot of different styles ( picking, fingerpicking, strumming ect ). Would like to play them better on the new guitar and i prefare a quieter sound rather than deep bass. I have a deep bass guitar at the moment which I hate. I have played alot of guitars in the shops of differnt sizes and makes.

Thanks

Tom

6string

Tue May 05, 2009 9:22 am

You might consider narrowing your search to smaller bodied guitars, such as 000's and OM's. They have a more balanced tone than your average Dreadnaught.

machoy4617

Tue May 05, 2009 12:46 pm

Are small bodied guitars 000's and om's good for all round playing.

TGNeil

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:19 am

machoy4617 wrote:
I think so, but I am an avowed 000 and OM man so I may be biased! A smaller body guitar usually has a better balanced tone than a large-bodied guitar. Bigger bodies tend to be on the bassy side and unless you're competing with banjos the extra volume of a large-bodied guitar isn't a huge advantage in my opinion. I do everything with my 000--fingerpick, strum, slide, amplify, jam, etc. I've never wished I had a Dreadnaught in my hands instead unless it was the sound I was going for.

Dreadnaughts were originally designed to compete with banjos, fiddles, and other instruments without amplification.

BigBear

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:09 pm

machoy4617 wrote:
All of these suggestions are great but don't forget how the guitar feels in your hands is really important. Not just the physical size of the instrument but also the neck. I'm a very large guy and a OOO or OM is just way too small for me. They look like ukuleles in my lap whereas I'm really happy with a jumbo size. But everyone is different.

If you like a smaller instrument check out the Grand Auditorium size with a cutaway upper bout and is slightly smaller overall. Mine has great tone and balance but doesn't throw out a ton of sound (but has a pickup so I don't care). Some companies like Larrivee have their own shapes that are smaller than dreadnaughts but are similar in shape.

And get a neck that fits your style. If you have big hands (or play a lot fingerstyle) consider a wider neck. It can make a huge difference. Guitar necks have become pretty much one style fits all but we all know that rarely works in the real world!

Good luck and Happy Playin'

steve36

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:01 am

where in the UK are you? may be able to give you some pointers on stores to try
Steve

jjohnson63

Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:36 pm

the important thing to remember is that YOU are happy with it YOU are the one who will make that thing sing and dance it will only do what YOU tell it to do. if it calls out to you when you pick it up keep it! names and brands are only as important as YOU make them if it sounds good, feels good, it will be good! the guitar does not make the music, YOU do. i hope you find it my friend starting the search for the right sound is clear evidence that your ear is finding its tune

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic