A tip to make your guitar stay put!

Guitarmom

Tue May 05, 2009 6:31 am

Buy a roll of the rubber non adhesive shelf liner. It is 'cushy' and usually comes in different colors, including black. It is frequently used to keep cups and glassware from shifting around in motor homes or trailers. It is like a tiny rubber grid that grabs the cups and such and keeps things neat. If you cut a small piece for your knee, the guitar stays perfectly still and doesn't slip!

Chasplaya

Tue May 26, 2009 10:28 pm

I guess it depends on how long the guitar sits on the piece of non slip material Kate, but be careful some rubber and definitely vinyl have a bad effect on the finish on nitrocellulose guitars, heat transmitted via rubber and vinyl is also something to consider. notably a lot of guys cover the rubber supports on guitar stands with T shirt material or replace with felt. Some silicones are ok I have been told.

If these mats you speak of are the ones sold here in NZ they may well be silicone I have one on my PC desk as a coffee mat lol

Chasplaya

Tue May 26, 2009 10:33 pm

Guitarmom wrote:
Buy a roll of the rubber non adhesive shelf liner. It is 'cushy' and usually comes in different colors, including black. It is frequently used to keep cups and glassware from shifting around in motor homes or trailers. It is like a tiny rubber grid that grabs the cups and such and keeps things neat. If you cut a small piece for your knee, the guitar stays perfectly still and doesn't slip!
I checked your guitars out , mostly Martins, as best I know Martins were all finished from the 30's onwards in nitrocellulose lacquer which is susceptioble to vinyl and rubber damage.

If this is an issue I would use a good quality strap ( i don't use one for my acoustics)

Guitarmom

Wed May 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback! My guitars are usually not in contact with it for more than 30 minutes during a set. I use a strap on my Martins (D28 & D12-29), but I sit when playing my Classical (Guild MK 11's). I'll check the package to see what the material is made from. Thanks!

Joy,

Rev Kate

6string

Thu May 28, 2009 1:05 am

Never had a problem with my guitar slipping, perhaps your legs are too smooth?

Chasplaya

Thu May 28, 2009 5:49 am

6string wrote:
Be careful 6string keep it seemly lol... I usually have jeans and never have the problem. Note Neil usually has shorts... so whats his secret?

Music Junkie

Thu May 28, 2009 1:27 pm

I never had this problem either (with or without long pants). Sometimes using a footstool can raise the angle of your thigh thus preventing slippage.

6string

Thu May 28, 2009 7:02 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
6string wrote:
Be careful 6string keep it seemly lol... I usually have jeans and never have the problem. Note Neil usually has shorts... so whats his secret?
You just don't want to be wearing any of those Elvis satin sequin jumpsuits :)

Guitarmom

Thu May 28, 2009 7:06 pm

But 6string... you look so stunning in sequins! 0:)

6string

Thu May 28, 2009 10:02 pm

Guitarmom wrote:
But 6string... you look so stunning in sequins! 0:)

Yes thanks, but I find that the tassels tickle :silly:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic