CAPO for 12string

Chasplaya

Fri May 08, 2009 8:45 pm

The CAPO I currently use is a Kyser which is fine onmy 6's but hopeless on my 12 as it can't apply enough pressure on the Bass courses. Any suggestions

BigBear

Fri May 08, 2009 10:52 pm

Kyser makes a 12-string capo, as does Shubb, Paige, and a few others. I can't claim to have first-hand knowledge of any of them (not having had a 12-string guitar for over 20 years).

quincy451

Sat May 09, 2009 10:52 am

I second the notion...don't put a 6 string capo on a 12 string instrument. Go with the 12 string capo. I have not tried one personally but they seem a little longer top to buttom to accomadate the taller neck of the 12 string. Personally I would also advise go with a adjustable tension capo. Versus some quick release one fit model. I have a Shrub and it pain to put on. Makes me wish for the day when a capo was a rod and some elsstic. Very simple design.

I am currently on the search for a capo myself...I like the sound of the one I have. And that fact it does not knock things out of tune. But the screw behind the neck and getting the angle just right so it will go on and positioning the front just right so you will fret all the strings properly...next.

Another note about capos...I have not had much success even taking a classical guitar capo and putting it on a steel 6 string accustic. I get a buzz at the top string because the neck on my steel string is way NOT flat.

Yea that pretty much means someone with a collection of guitars for different styles and sounds will need 3 capos.

haoli25

Sat May 09, 2009 12:24 pm

Again, I think through the years I have tried every capo on the market. By far, the best I have used are the ones made by PAIGE. I have three, two for 6 string (one is a little wider made for classical necks), and one for my 12 strings. Most capos clamp in the middle of the fret further stretching the strings and causing tuning and buzzing issues, the PAIGE capos clamp at the fret bar and provide equal pressure from the top string to the bottom string. No buzzing or string chatter and no constant re-tuning.

Haoli

BigBear

Sat May 09, 2009 12:50 pm

This is no revelation to anyone who plays a 12 string but due to the 6 pairs of strings of different gauges placement of the capo is about 1000% more critical than on a 6 string. I've tried them all and keep coming back to Kyser. I have to do some fiddling to get it just right but once there it works fine and doesn't seem to de-tune as bad as some.

Happy Playin'

Chasplaya

Sat May 09, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks all for the comments, I have seen a CAPO online which looks as if it would do the job but unfortunately no brand, I get blank stares from the local music shops when I describe it. It looks like the quick release Kyser but the clamp is v shaped with two rubber pads as opposed to one like the Kyser I have, this two pad one would obviously apply even pressure across the fretboard better than a single pad/clamp. I'll ask about those others mentioned back at the stores.

haoli25

Sat May 09, 2009 6:25 pm

You might try www.musiciansfriend.com or similar site. They have pictures of the capos they stock. Maybe that might help you find the one you are looking for. Once you get a brand name and model number, don't forget about checking eBay for it. It might save you a few bucks.
Haoli

Chasplaya

Sat May 09, 2009 7:50 pm

haoli25 wrote:
You might try www.musiciansfriend.com or similar site. They have pictures of the capos they stock. Maybe that might help you find the one you are looking for. Once you get a brand name and model number, don't forget about checking eBay for it. It might save you a few bucks.
Haoli

Thanks haoli25,

Just had a look at musiciansfriend.com and found a couple that look the part. Impressed with the G7th (most expensive) and then the Paige. Ebay not much good to me in NZ but now I have a couple of models and names I can go back to my local music store and order one or the other. Local NZ auction site might also be an option.

haoli25

Sun May 10, 2009 11:56 am

Kia Ora, Chas! I know several people that use the G7th capo and they love 'em, but it all comes down to personal taste.

Haoli

Chasplaya

Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:02 am

Changed my mind about g7th they cost $73.00NZ phew too much but I did find a good 12str Shubb capo for around $35.00 so will be getting one next pay day

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic