What do you practice and for how long?

spags

Mon May 11, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi Guys,

I was hoping we could all share our practice routines. I’m always interested to see how other people practice and what kind of time they put in every day. I like to see what good ideas others have that I might learn from and borrow for my own routine.

When I was a kid, my dad (who is a really really good guitarist) taught me how to play. He used Mel Bay’s books. His rule was that I had to practice for an hour a day because that’s how he learned. It was torture. To me it seemed like more of a job than something fun. I was way more interested in learning to play songs I liked rather than learning from these books. I eventually stopped playing until high school because I wasn’t having any fun.

When I started playing again I concentrated on the fun aspect. What I do currently is drill for about 10 minutes a day. I then spend the rest of my time learning songs or something else that interests me. I don’t have a set amount of time that I play each day, sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes 3 hours.

The attached file is how I currently spend my 10 minutes of drill time before I start having fun with the guitar. What do you guys do?

Spags http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... arm_Up.doc

dtaylor

Tue May 12, 2009 1:10 am

You and I have a similar outlook on "practice" Spags. I've never been motivated by repetitious exercises or adhering to a set practice routine. I always want the guitar to be fun. That doesn't mean I don't "practice" in the sense of learning a song (and all that entails) or working on a challenging part of a particular piece. I figure if there are skills I need to develop they will show up in the songs I learn.

My practice time varies (usually night time after wife and kids are asleep). That might mean I play 20 minutes or 2 hours, depending on how I feel. Sometimes I'm just playing things as I watch a game (or the History Channel) on TV. This actually works well for me, because if I do need to work on something repetetive I can sort of tune into something else as I commit it to muscle memory; makes it a lot easier for me to stand the monotony. But really playing is 75% of my guitar time. The other 25% is working on new stuff.

Guitarmom

Tue May 12, 2009 8:37 am

As Neil mentioned on the Webinar, consistency and playing everyday for a short time (30 to 60 minutes) is the key. Another aspect of practice that he pointed out was not to spend a lot of time playing things that you already play well. You have to stretch your skills and learn things that are difficult for you to play today. In so doing, you expand your skill sets to reach new heights. Neil suggested that there is also a point of too much practice. You don't want to practice to the point that your hands are sore from hours and hours of practice... then you will be unable to practice the following day.

Best,

Rev Kate

stmfitr636

Tue May 12, 2009 9:35 am

I just run through all the songs I know... both to hone my playing and memory. That also makes it somewhat enjoyable to anyone else in ear shot. Not just a run of chords or scales or exercises that sound monotonous or irritating.

I like to do it everyday for an hour or so... but lucky if I can get 3-4 hours a week.

rcsnydley

Tue May 12, 2009 11:29 am

Guitarmom wrote:
As Neil mentioned on the Webinar, consistency and playing everyday for a short time (30 to 60 minutes) is the key.

Best,

Rev Kate
I agree with Neil that consistent playing is a key. However, I am also a firm believer that sometimes a break is needed, whether to stave off burn-out or simply to give your hands and fingers a rest. Sometimes I find that if I've been working hard on something and I put it away for a while (a day, or two, or three) I come back to it refreshed and often progress more quickly. Everyone has their routines and what works for them.

spags

Tue May 12, 2009 11:56 am

hey gingold - i also play infront of the TV. mostly dexterity stuff. i'll sit there and run through chord changes or just up and down the fret board.

pak452

Tue May 12, 2009 9:57 pm

I warm up by playing scales or doing chord changes 10 min. or so. Then I play songs I already know for about 1/2 hour. Then I work on new stuff. If I find a part that is tough for me, I play it over and over slowly, and then speed it up gradually. I have been known to play the same section 50 or 60 times in a row, doesn't bother me at all.
Tonight I didn't have it, so I only played for about 1/2 hour. I came up from the basement and told my wife I was fumble fingers tonight. Last Sunday evening it was just flowing out of me, I played for three hours or more and had to make myself stop.

Rick

kelly454

Tue May 12, 2009 11:12 pm

It really depends on my mood. I have a few guitars so, I will typically play an acoustic for a few days going thru finger style and country type songs. Then I will switch to the Guild in my avatar and play Zepplin and other classic rock bands. Then move to an SG and play AC/DC stuff..... You get the picture.

For learning new songs..... It is a different story. I have a significant hearing loss so, I depend heavily on Guitar Pro and UTube along with other sites such as this one to learn new songs. I have been playing since the early 70's and since I discovered Utube and GuitarPro fairly recently, My song catalog has grown more in the last year and half than it did the entire time I have played.

rcsnydley

Wed May 13, 2009 9:08 pm

This may not be a practice schedule or what to practice, but it is a great article about how to setup a practice schedule.

http://tomhess.net/PracticeGuitar.aspx

Keep Playing
Ric

haoli25

Thu May 14, 2009 8:22 am

I have guitars stashed all over the house! lol I keep one next to my desk at my office, and when I am working on a problem I will pick up the guitar and play until I come up with a solution to my work problem. Could be 5 minutes, could be several hours.
I also have a guitar in the TV room. When I am in there by myself, I usually have that guitar in my lap...pickin' and ginnin'.
THE BOSS says she is surprised I do not have a guitar in the bathroom. Well,.....if it wasn't for all that humidity.....
I have been playing now for 44 years. It is strictly for my own enjoyment and I love it as much as ever. A little arthritis has slowed down the fingers a bit, but on I go.
Many times I have heard on old song on the radio that I remember playing 20 years ago or so, and I can't wait to get home and see if I can still play it. Thank goodness for 'muscle memory'!!!!
I play as often as I can and as long as I can in each session. There is no routine, but it works for me. 'Tension on the strings reduces tension in life' as a wise old guitar player once told me.

Haoli

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic