Yamaha FG700S Guitar - Stock Strings

sl83

Wed May 13, 2009 4:28 pm

Can anyone tell me what kind of strings are on a Yamaha FG700S Acoustic? I thought they were medium, but I just compared them with some light gauge strings and it looks like they might be light gauge.

They are the stock Yamaha Coated strings. I want to replace them with my D'Addario EXP17s, but the EXP17s are medium gauge.

Is it gonna be a big deal with readjusting the neck from light gauge to medium gauge? Or should I be fine?

jim56

Wed May 13, 2009 4:51 pm

If your Yamaha is set up for light gauge strings you may have to have the action readjusted for the extra tension. Yamahas have notoriously high action so medium gauge strings might make it worse. I'm not sure what strings Yamaha puts on. I assume it's a new guitar and maybe there's some paperwork with it saying what it's strung with? If you can find a caliper you can measure the thickness of the strings. Failing that, call some stores that carry Yamahas and ask them what gauge they're set up for out of the factory.

As for adjusting the action it will probably need a truss rod adjustment. It's not a huge deal. If you decide to do it yourself make sure you read up on it first before you start turning wrenches--stripping, breaking, or over-adjusting a truss rod can be a big expense to fix and can "total" a lot of guitars. I adjust my own on my electric but I usualy leave my acoustic's adjustments to a luthier.

sl83

Wed May 13, 2009 4:53 pm

After some googling, I was able to find out the stock strings are Yamaha FS50BT.

A google of that basically pulls up a bunch of forums where people are asking where to buy these strings, and what gauge they are :)

Even a Chinese forum where the posters are confused about where to get the strings. :\

sl83

Wed May 13, 2009 5:32 pm

It's a relatively new guitar - and I think it is light gauge strings. I called a couple Sam Ash's and a guitar center and they told me it is probably light gauge .11s or .12s.

If I want to make the jump to .13 mediums, I'm going to have to take it in somewhere to get it re-setup. Does anyone recommend a chain store that does a good job?

The guy said changing to medium gauge will probably make it sound a lot better, too.

Hydroman52

Wed May 13, 2009 10:54 pm

Mediums will give it a little more volume, but they may feel a bit stiffer than lights. I don't know of any chain store guitar repairs, but often chain stores have a repairperson on staff or someone who contracts with them.

quincy451

Thu May 14, 2009 1:43 pm

You might give the following site:
http://www.repairmyguitar.com/
a try and see what you find in the local area for
repair options.

sl83

Fri May 15, 2009 6:15 pm

Thanks guys. I took it to a place off repairmyguitar.com and they changed the strings and made sure if it needed adjustment.

Medium gauges are a bit harder on my fingers for now - but I'll build the strength and callouses back up soon enough.

They charged me 15 +tax to basically restring it, but I at least know it can handle medium gauge strings safely. :)

ffsooo3

Sun May 17, 2009 12:45 pm

Did they adjust anything?

quincy451

Mon May 18, 2009 7:35 pm

$15 for a string change is a good deal. The local shop here wants $25 for a string change and $50 for a full setup. So I guess they just changed the strings and checked things out. But made no adjustments.

Me I just went from what is supposed to be D'Addario EXP16s to Elixir Extra Lights with
the ployweb coating. I did the change out myself. I checked the intenuation afterwards and it seemed ok. playablity seems good. So I think it is fine. I didn't notice much change on the trebbles but the bass strings are a lot more mellow. Which is what I wanted. But have not played it enough since getting it done for a full opinion. I am also looking for a little easier and more playablity on the fingers. The others where killing me. Too spoiled playing nylon.

Someday I should do the full setup thing. Never did it with either guitar. I know on the classical I have a buddy on youtube who has the same guitar and he told me had great success sanding down the bridge peice. And I was like ok...you took it to a tech...no he took some sand paper to it and was successful in not breaking it. He told me it made bar chords much easier and the guitar itself much easier to play. I am thinking considering what he did he might made it more like a flamico style guitar.

I might do mine to see what I get from it, but I will get a tech to do it. Yea he told methe bridge is cheap and you can get plenty more. Yea you can, but can you get it right so the whole thing comes together. Personally I would think you might be able to if you sanded it from the bottom taking the bridge peice out. But alas that is not how I see most do it. They attack the top. But the top is not uniform one height or nngle. It varies slightly for the different strings in the set. Sand from the bottom and that difference does not change. Just my thoughts on this stuff.

David Clark

sl83

Mon May 18, 2009 7:58 pm

gingold wrote:
Did they adjust anything?
Nope.

I don't think so. They just put the strings on. They said the playablity is actually better with medium gauge strings. :shrug:

At least now I know the next time I have to change my strings - I can do it myself with medium gauge.

I really just wanted to make sure my guitar would be ok with mediums.

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic