Changed strings - now buzzing.

Lavallee

Sun May 24, 2009 9:49 am

My guess is it's the nut slot for the high E string....Let us know!

larry g

Sun May 24, 2009 11:21 am

Did you try putting medium gauge strings on yet?

FlatPick

Sun May 24, 2009 4:12 pm

No, I will have to drive at least 40 miles for the closest place that carries guitar strings. Too much going on this weekend to do that.

bhudson

Sun May 24, 2009 6:08 pm

Try this. Loosen all of your strings, pull out your bridge and add a shim under it. I am not sure if this is the right thing to do but it will make the strings a bit higher and might get rid of the buzz. I have a few guys I know that have sanded there bridge down a bit too much and have had to do this. Let me know how it goes.

Brad

AndyT

Mon May 25, 2009 1:28 am

bhudson wrote:
Try this. Loosen all of your strings, pull out your bridge and add a shim under it. I am not sure if this is the right thing to do but it will make the strings a bit higher and might get rid of the buzz.
Brad
I guess anything's worth a try since he's so far away from a luthier. The only thing about putting a shim under the saddle is that #1 it's only one string that's dead; #2 raising the bridge won't affect the action on the lower frets as much as the higher ones; and #3 the other strings might have fine action and raising the saddle will change them.

My guess is still worn groove on the nut. It could also be a warped fret. Hard to tell without being able to see the guitar.

jjohnson63

Sun May 31, 2009 5:06 pm

did you change what gauge string you were playing? ( fret too high, fret to low, fret worn out from capo...)

Chasplaya

Sun May 31, 2009 5:30 pm

gingold wrote:
bhudson wrote:
Try this. Loosen all of your strings, pull out your bridge and add a shim under it. I am not sure if this is the right thing to do but it will make the strings a bit higher and might get rid of the buzz.
Brad
I think Brad means pull out the saddle, taking the bridge of is a major and not for dabbling with. PLus putting a shim under the saddle is likely to create the wrong kind of vibration think on this the saddle transfers the sound to the top of the guitar anything impeding this may have an adverse effect. If this is part of the problem buy or make a taller saddle, other saddle issues are the angle between the bridge pins and the saddle, the shape of the saddle at the top it should be slightly rounded. Frets.Com has a good article on bridge pin /saddle angles

BigBear

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:01 pm

FlatPick wrote:
No, I will have to drive at least 40 miles for the closest place that carries guitar strings. Too much going on this weekend to do that.
Just a thought but you can order any guitar string you want on-line. Try www.juststrings.com, or www.guitarcenter.com, www.elderly.com or www.musiciansfriend.com. All sell strings at great prices.

Good luck with your guitar. That truss rod is critical. If you can't get it loose I think you're out of luck!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic