String Cleaner

rcsnydley

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:34 pm

I was reading an article about the 10 things you should have in your gig bag and one of them was string cleaner. I was wondering if anyone uses it and what type, kind, brand, etc. you use.

Keep Playing
Ric

cosmicmechanic

Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:40 pm

I use to use GHS Fast Fret for many years. I recently switched to John Pearse String Swipes. They reduce--and prevent--oxidation, sweat and oil build-up. My strings have lasted almost twice as long using them.

haoli25

Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:29 pm

I use "The String Cleaner". Not bad for 10 dollars.

http://www.thestringcleaner.com/

Haoli

rcsnydley

Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Haoli - I've seen this advertised on Guitar Worlds website, so it really works?

Keep Playing
Ric

rcsnydley

Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:10 pm

I've seen it too and am interested. I like the idea of it cleaning all sides of the strings. Currently, I take a Pearse String Swipe between my fingers to get all around the string, then clean it off with a polishing cloth the same way.

Lavallee

Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:39 am

Is it necessary to clean after each practice session? Besides longevity of the strings, are there other benefits?

Another topic: what is the sign that tells you that you should change your strings?

Thanks

Marc

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:31 am

I clean after every time oil from my fingers touch the strings. For me it's not even longevity so much as better tone and feel. Signs that you should change strings include: they don't hold a tuning very well, corrosion or discoloration on the string, pits or bare spots on the strings from fret contact, they sound dull or "dead", they break from old age, they look dull with no "shine". For heavier playing about once a month is a general rule. Some players are fanatic about strings and change the more often. For me it depends on how much playing I've done on them, how the strings look and sound, and if I've had a gig or jam where I sweated a lot.

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:53 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Is it necessary to clean after each practice session? Besides longevity of the strings, are there other benefits?

Another topic: what is the sign that tells you that you should change your strings?

Thanks

Marc
I usually wipe them down after each session with a cloth, occasionally use Fast Fret, although I'm thinking Fast Fret might not be so good as I think its a silicon based product (stand to be corrected on that) if so it must leave a residue...

haoli25

Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:20 pm

Yes, Ric and Gingold, 'The String Cleaner' really does work as advertised. I feel like it doubles the life of my strings. And with multiple guitars (4), the savings are really adding up.

Haoli

Lavallee

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks Gingold, I bought new strings tonight as the existing ones are all of what you described. As for the sound, I had them for a year so I do not remember what new strings sounds like. I will try to get that String Cleaner, Haoli mentioned. They did not have any at the store I went. I migth have to wait for my next visit in the US to get it. I like the idea of cleaning them easily with that clamp device. If it is easy, I will do it more often. I am not sure if I am as dedicated as you and Chasplaya. However only fools never change their mind ;)

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic