Norman Guitars B20

fkadi

Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi,

I am looking to buy a new guitar and I came across the Norman B20. I have read a few reviews and they all seem positive. But I would like to ask if anyone here has any information on them and if they are good guitars from quality, sound, durability and if the action is good on them.
I currently have a Yamaha FG-335, so compared to that how would it be rated.

Thanks

Rod

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:53 am

Funny, I learned on a Yamaha FG-335. I don't know anything about Norman Guitars, but I know the FG-335 really well. An upgrade for you will definitley increase your playing enjoyment. Check to see if the Norman comes with a solid wood top. If it does then it is already an improvement over the FG-335.

P.S. Here's a link to some reviews on the B20: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... n/B20/10/1 It is a solid wood top.

jamesbkline

Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:04 pm

I have a Norman B18 Solid Cedar top (The one in my profile pic.) It is about $80-100 less (msrp) than the B20. The sound from both these models is really good for the price. I also play a Yamaha FG720 SCA Spruce top, which is only a few years old, so it probably doesn't compare to your 335. Anyway the Norman comes off "warmer" than my Yamaha.

The one big thing you may want to consider is the Norman's setup. It came from the factory generally okay, especially the action. However, I had fits with tuning/keeping in tune and the nut was the culprit. If you have a luthier check out the setup, it may be worth the added cost. It certainly made playing my Norman much more enjoyable.

jjohnson63

Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:18 pm

the nut may be the key... i have two identical 73 model yamahas in studio and found that by simply replacing the plastic stock nuts with ivory or bone (i prefer bone)it will dramatically improve the sound and playability

fkadi

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:15 am

Hi guys and thanks for your comments. The Yamaha is good but the action was terrible. I had it setup the other day and now its much better but it now sounds a little metallic, could it be that there is slight fret buzz?? actually he had to change the saddle since it broke in half when he was filling it down.
By the way since you know the FG-335, is it all wood?

I will need to look into the Norman more as you said James it is a good guitar for the price and I’m not quite ready to pay for a Martin or Taylor.

mcampos

Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:50 am

The FG-335 is a plywood top. Yes, the action on Yamahas (at least the cheaper ones) is notoriously high. The sound can also be a little "boxy". One advantage of learning on a high-action guitar is when you do eventually play a better-made guitar it is so much easier on the fingers.

jamesbkline

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:52 pm

Agreed on the action. The action on my FG720 was way too high. I then had the guitar set up by a luthier and he had to file down the bridge quite a bit to get the action into a reasonable range. (Reasonable is subjective, of course.)

drawlr

Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:50 pm

I bought a used Norman a few months ago, and I really like it. I also have a Seagull, which is made under the same umbrella company of Godin. Very good guitars for the money. Go for the Norman.

fkadi

Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Thanks Guys, I appreciate all the replies. I will let you know what happens.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic