Blues Setup

BigBear

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:51 pm

I know this site is primarily for acoustic guitars and I'm down with that too. But In my pusuit to learn the blues I'm trying to get that nice crunchy blues sound that seems so typical of electric blues. I can't describe it but you know it when you hear it.

I've tried every combination of distortion, gain, chorus, reverb, clean, front pickup, back pickup and on and on....that I can think of. Nothing sounds right! I'm frustrated!!

I'm running a Les Paul Studio through a Roland Cube 20 with all the available effect simulations. Yes, I know it isn't a Fender Twin Reverb tube amp but I should be able to get closer to that blusey sound than I am.

Any ideas? what combinations of effects/pickups gives that great sound?

Thanks!

jjohnson63

Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:03 pm

stomp-box gear Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamers, Vox wah-wah pedals, a few Octavias, Univibes, Fuzz Faces, and an Echoplex. that should put you right up there with hendrix srv buddy guy ect..(hope this helps)

agentcooper

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:39 pm

Well Bear, an unfortunate thing about trying to achieve certain sounds, is that most of the time, if you want the real thing, you have to spend real money. It's the endless search for specific and particular tones, based on idol worship, that keeps mom and pop luthiers in (and out) of business.

As far as your use of an LP for blues, the stock pickups might not be cutting it whatsoever. Jason Lollar makes great pickups, and has a lot of sound samples on his website. Seymour Duncan is a favorite of many, but I've never been too intrigued by his humbuckers, although I'm into the 1/4 pounder, which I use in the bridge of my tele. My personal thoughts on blues are that they should be played with strats or 335s (and most similar models). Lindy Fralin is also a great pickup builder, and should be investigated thoroughly. Since you're not playing metal, I would recommend against an extremely high output humbucker, but who knows, that might get that Cube to crunch the way you want it to. Unfortunately the limitations of your practice space (and city noise ordinances) will dictate the tones that you can achieve, if you're basing your tone off the natural overdrive of a tube amp, which I highly recommend, although this is impossible living in a one bedroom apartment with a wife, while maintaining a healthy marriage.

I don't know how helpful this post was, but I'll throw some links your way, and you should definitely see what they have to offer.

-Dale

P.S. My ideal blues rig would be an alder strat, with Fralin blues specials, run through either a tubescreamer, route 66 overdrive (2 pedals in 1!), or tonebone classic, into a 59 bassman reissue, cranked at least past 5. Here we go:

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/mercha ... er-pickups

http://www.fralinpickups.com/humbuckers.asp

http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyleBS.asp

http://www.visualsound.net/index.php/pr ... 2_route_66

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-classic.htm

Let me know your feelings on this matter. Like I said, I hope this helps!

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:57 pm

One of the all time greatest Blues cover albums 'From The Cradle' by Eric Clapton has him playing a LP through a Marshall ( he also played a 335 on this album) set up not sure what effects he uses though, but the Marshall was a tube one. Peter Green uses LP's also so the LP aint that bad for the blues. Its setup and how you play the darn thing that does it.

Guitar Used to Achieve Blues Breakers tone: 1959 Les Paul Standard

Guitar Settings Used For Blues Breakers tone: Volume up, tone rolled off.

Amp Used to Achieve Blues Breakers tone: Marshall Model 1962 Combo

Amp Settings Used For Blues Breakers tone:

Effects Used to Achieve Blues Breakers tone: Some reports suggest that Clapton used the Dallas Rangemaster (a treble booster) for this session

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... eoid=93057

KennyF

Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:43 pm

Well... This is a slippery slope, as everyone has an opinion.

The bottom line is, in my opinion... You're going to need an ALL tube, point to point, hand wired amp to start with. Then you're going to have to get your chops together, 'cause an amp like that is a double edged sword. The up side is you're going to hear every note and nuance of your playing. The down side is you're going to hear every note and nuance of your playing.

This picture below is what I'm using. One of the BEST all tube, point to point, hand wired amps there is. Pickup selection will not be much of a factor with an amp like that. In fact, my P-90 Gold Top is my number one axe and there's no lack of feel, gain, or touch sensitivity at all. Just dime the amp and go from clean to crunch with a twist of the guitars volume knob. It's really that simple.

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Thats wot I said sort of

haoli25

Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:25 am

SRV once said, "...first find some really cool sunglasses
and then playing the Blues becomes very easy." :silly:

BigBear

Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:38 am

kennyf wrote:

The bottom line is, in my opinion... You're going to need an ALL tube, point to point, hand wired amp to start with. Then you're going to have to get your chops together, 'cause an amp like that is a double edged sword. The up side is you're going to hear every note and nuance of your playing. The down side is you're going to hear every note and nuance of your playing.

This picture below is what I'm using. One of the BEST all tube, point to point, hand wired amps there is. Pickup selection will not be much of a factor with an amp like that. In fact, my P-90 Gold Top is my number one axe and there's no lack of feel, gain, or touch sensitivity at all. Just dime the amp and go from clean to crunch with a twist of the guitars volume knob. It's really that simple.

Kenny- that is one sweet looking set up!! I'm way jealous!! Since I'm not a pro does Reinhardt make smaller amps like a Fender Twin Reverb. A setup like yours is way above my price limit and I can't afford another divorce right now (she's finally got me trained!).

Do you have a link for Reinhardt so I can drool some more?

Thanks buddy! You're my hero!!

KennyF

Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:16 am

BigBear wrote:
kennyf wrote:

Kenny- that is one sweet looking set up!! I'm way jealous!! Since I'm not a pro does Reinhardt make smaller amps like a Fender Twin Reverb. A setup like yours is way above my price limit and I can't afford another divorce right now (she's finally got me trained!).

Do you have a link for Reinhardt so I can drool some more?

Thanks buddy! You're my hero!!
Yup! Every amp he makes can be made as a 1x12 or 2x12 combo.

Here's the link. Reinhardt Amplification

For you Mark Knopfler fans... Mark is currently using two Reinhardt amps as a part of his regular setup.

P.S. Bob is an extraordinary person. I would strongly suggest that you give him a call and talk to the man himself. From super star, to basement rocker, he gives everyone the same attention and builds every amp with his own two hands. Try getting Jim Marshall on the phone some time.

KennyF

Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:39 am

P.S.S. to my last post...

One of my members just posted a few impromptu clips of his Reinhardt Vintage 50.

Here's the link. http://www.lespaulconsortium.com/forum/ ... f=18&t=396

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic