Blues Setup

goldleaf

Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:00 pm

BigBear, Thanks for the reply. It sure wouldn't be the first time I've tried to fix or improve something and ended up wishing I'd gotten someone who knows what they are doing. It just seems if it was done correctly it should improve the playability but I'm sure not going to try it on my guitar now..

BigBear

Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:12 pm

goldleaf wrote:
BigBear, Thanks for the reply. It sure wouldn't be the first time I've tried to fix or improve something and ended up wishing I'd gotten someone who knows what they are doing. It just seems if it was done correctly it should improve the playability but I'm sure not going to try it on my guitar now..
Gary- I just can't imagine a scenario where scalloping would help. The challenge with barre chords is getting the right pressure at the right place. I've played for 40+ years and I still miss them, especially when fingerpicking so that each note stands out clearly. Since all you need to do is get the string fully on top of the fret having a recess or depression behind the fret would be excessive. If you're pressing all the strings in a barre all the way to the fretboard, you're pressing way too hard.

Barre chords, especially the A shape, are just one of the those things that requires untold practice and sometimes it seems, a little bit of luck!! (kidding of course!).

goldleaf

Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:50 pm

I agree. I guess it always comes back to the same thing, no way of getting around PRACTICE.
If I ever get a beater guitar I don't care about I might try "scalloping" and see what happens. If I do I'll let you know the results. Have a good one. Gary

AndyT

Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:14 am

If you scallop your fingerboard, what will happen is that when you put enough pressure on the string to touch it to the bottom of the scallop, you will be stretching it out of tune and/or you will actually put a kink in the string and then you have to replace it.

haoli25

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:30 am

AndyT wrote:
You could still get pretty much the same result the way I outlined. In effect, you would be increasing the sensitivity within the field envelope, instead of tuning the envelope itself. Different approach, but still workable.

Andy, you might want to check out the book "Theory Of Electromagnetic Wave Propagation" by Dr. Charles Papas. You may be able to find it at your local library. It will help you understand the process more clearly. :)

Haoli

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic