Blues Setup

richardk

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:59 am

Another way to go if you don't want to play live (or if you do and play through a PA) would be a 5W all-tube amp. Blackheart makes good ones for little money. Here's a video of somebody driving it with an LP (looks like a studio to me but I don't know the first thing about LPs).

If you drive it with an overdrive stompbox, you can get even more sounds. I would test as many of those boxes as you can get a hand on, since they sound very much different.

KennyF

Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:07 am

richardk wrote:
Another way to go if you don't want to play live (or if you do and play through a PA) would be a 5W all-tube amp. Blackheart makes good ones for little money. Here's a video of somebody driving it with an LP (looks like a studio to me but I don't know the first thing about LPs).

If you drive it with an overdrive stompbox, you can get even more sounds. I would test as many of those boxes as you can get a hand on, since they sound very much different.
WOW!!! Never heard of them, BUT... at $350.00 I don't see how you could go wrong.

KennyF

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:31 pm

Hey Rick, Did you check this out? The price seems right and it looks like Guitar Center may have one for you to try out. Image

BigBear

Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:50 pm

kennyf wrote:
Hey Rick, Did you check this out? The price seems right and it looks like Guitar Center may have one for you to try out.
I was very impressed with this amp! And only 5 watts! I definately will check it out! Thanks for making sure I saw it and thanks to Richard for posting it!!

galnpdx

Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:55 pm

There is soooo many tones one can come up with and spend a ton of money on and I have chased tone myself with various guitars from Les Paul to custom Telecasters, in the end I realized tone really is in ones hands IMHO. I have track of SRV playing on a tele, STILL sounded like SRV playing a strat.
I heard/watched Doyle Dykes tone go from pure acoustic magic to sounding like a Telecaster set on the bridge pick up,noodlin tons of twang on the same ACOUSTIC guitar, of course through a Amp but was no special gear but close your eyes and youd think you were listening to a vintage Telecaster.
Eric clapping recording plugged straight into a vintage fender pro, no stomp boxes just pure tube tone with a old amp dimed.
I have a friend of mine who has like myself, a ton of gear and guitars. Both of us chasing tone until I just decided to play just sit and play from the heart, no boxes just straight into a amp and lots of practice with technique.
One day we were jamming and he stopped in middle of a riff I was playing looked at me and said "WOW did you change pick ups?"
My answer was "No I just decided to play"
IMHO Blues (or any style) should be felt not heard and if you play from your gut your tone will follow.

haoli25

Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Well said GAINPDX. Some karma for you.

BigBear

Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:57 pm

Does anyone have any experience using a tube stomp box to get that vintage crunch sound? I'm talking about a Seymour Duncan SFX03 or equivalent. And will it work okay through a digital amp? Remember, I'm not talking about performing here, just garage band or living room stuff.

agentcooper

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:52 pm

Tonebone makes great tube overdrive and distortion units. It'd recommend the tonebone classic. If you can find it used, swipe it up. Check it.

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-classic.htm

Otherwise it costs more than your Roland SS. Haha.

-Dale

galnpdx

Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:00 am

That pedal draws tone from the guitar and is a stomp box that is going to sound different guitar to guitar or to be specific pick up to pick up. If you have a guitar /amp set up that gets some crunch already that pedal will crunch it more. If not well...
Pushing digital gear can be hit and miss.

BigBear

Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:50 am

galnpdx wrote:
That pedal draws tone from the guitar and is a stomp box that is going to sound different guitar to guitar or to be specific pick up to pick up. If you have a guitar /amp set up that gets some crunch already that pedal will crunch it more. If not well...
Pushing digital gear can be hit and miss.
How do you know if the sound you want is amp related or pickup related? Replacing the pickups on my LP with Fralins or SD'd could cost as much as a small tube amp. How do I know if my current stock Humbuckers even need to replaced?

I'm lost on this fix! :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic