Zager Guitar

1robekert

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:31 am

My brother, who has good experience as a player, bought one. He returned it soon after receiving it.
Rob

goldleaf

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:06 pm

Andy or anyone, I bought a Takoma guitar wholesale. Never played, must have been setting in a warehouse for at least a couple of years. First thing I noticed was that it was very light & somewhat dried out looking must be a satin finish. My Luthier still has it but he rubbed some oil, I didn't catch the brand and it made a major difference. Anyway I saw a Nut on sale for a Tacoms on Musicians Friend.com for $15 US. I have heard that often the nut is glued in place and may not be a job for other than a Luither. What has been your experience with removing and replacing the nut on acoustic guitars. Do they lift out like the saddles generally do?? Gary

AndyT

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:38 pm

Usually the nut is stuck in place by the pressure of the strings and when you take them off it often stays there because of the built up dirt over time. Sometimes the nut is glued in and can be removed if you go about it carefully. Once I've come across one that was attached permanently.

NKenny

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:45 pm

That was what got me back playing again three years ago. I owned two of them,one was a Martin Sigma and the other a Zad 80. They are made in Indonesia. That was one thing that did bother me I was led to believe that it was made in America by Martin. On the Martin sticker in the guitar it said Martin Guitar Co, Nazareth Pa. But to the right of that, a sticker was placed by Zager as to when he modified it. I peeled it back and saw made in Indonesia. A little sneaky I would say. Still I think they are Ok for the price. They did have a very good customer service and return policy. I think the main reason they seem easy to play is that they all have X-light strings on them. If you wanted you could do that to any guitar. I sold the Zad-80 on e-bay and actually made money. I think people think they will be collectors guitars. I didn't think they would be, but who knows.
I still have the Martin Sigma and leave that one out,so I pick it up a lot.I now Have a Taylor but it would not be fair to compare the two.
Knowing what I know now I would not buy one.I think you can do much better for the money.

Kenny

goldleaf

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:49 pm

Andy, I would think if they are selling a nut on Musiciansfriends.com as a replacement for a specific guitar that the nut wouldn't be attached permanently but obviously they are on some guitars. I guess that's why the warning re: replacing the nut for the non Luthier. Gary

Chasplaya

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:35 am

goldleaf wrote:
Andy, I would think if they are selling a nut on Musiciansfriends.com as a replacement for a specific guitar that the nut wouldn't be attached permanently but obviously they are on some guitars. I guess that's why the warning re: replacing the nut for the non Luthier. Gary
Whilst we've gone off topic here some Nuts are definitely glued in and can be removed by amateur but not for the fainthearted as you need to get a very fine saw and cut down both sides, also if you can identify the glue you can apply heat to melt it, again not for the faint of heart.
On the Martin sticker in the guitar it said Martin Guitar Co, Nazareth Pa. But to the right of that, a sticker was placed by Zager as to when he modified it. I peeled it back and saw made in Indonesia.
Interesting story about the Martin/Zager I bet Martin wouldn't have been enthralled by that

NKenny

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:43 am

I just looked at the Zager website and I see Denny Zager is going to come out of retirement and start making some guitars again. I guess his guitar business made money and he decided to come back. It said just a limited run, but I wonder. I think I sold mine at the right time when some thought they would be collectors items.

Kenny

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic