Neil doesn't squeak (much)

chip

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Neil,
I noticed your playing doesn't squeak much as you move your left hand fingers along the strings. For example, in Wish You Here, 4th measure of the Lead (on your Tab sheet), you slide from the 4&5th frets down with very little squeak. When I do it, the squeak is much loader. I've tried low and high string pressure, but not much difference. Do you use coated strings? Any suggestions?

Chip

tovo

Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:02 pm

You can use a string lubricant (like GHS Fast Fret or similar products). I've never tried coated strings but I imagine they would help a bit. One technique I know to reduce squeak is to lift your fingers a bit when changing position, especially on multi-fret up or down changes. In other words, don't drag them along the strings.

BigBear

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:49 pm

Has anyone tried any of the more flat wound acoustic strings? I know jazz players use them and I imagine some acoustic players do as well.

BTW- in my experience the coated strings don't seem ot make much difference. Maybe a little, maybe.

rcsnydley

Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:44 pm

Maybe Neil lifts his fingers higher off of the strings. I know that I keep contact, especially on quick and/or difficult passages. On stuff that is slower and/or easier I can come off and thus don't get the string noise.
So, maybe as you improve and get more confident you will experience less squeaking.

Keep Playing
Ric

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:24 pm

I think the more competent you get and get a better feel for the song and also you really get to now your guitar the squeak reduces. I suppose Fast Fret helps, but I think you need to ensure you have clean hands first cos if your hands are dirty or slightly greasy they may stick more. I had to laugh at the title of the thread, It conjures up funny pictures .... I guess thats why Neil is a player and not a singer lol

BigBear

Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:06 am

Chasplaya wrote:
I suppose Fast Fret helps, but I think you need to ensure you have clean hands first cos if your hands are dirty or slightly greasy they may stick more.
Chas- you mean I shouldn't eat fried chicken before I play? Darn, I may have to change my diet just so my strings don't squeak!! ;-)

Chasplaya

Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:00 am

BigBear wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
I suppose Fast Fret helps, but I think you need to ensure you have clean hands first cos if your hands are dirty or slightly greasy they may stick more.
Chas- you mean I shouldn't eat fried chicken before I play? Darn, I may have to change my diet just so my strings don't squeak!! ;-)
You could always use chopsticks

AndyT

Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:25 am

Fast Fret does help. I know because I use it. I also use coated strings. They help a little, not much. Mostly, its experience like Chas said.

And on that song, 'Wish You Were Here', you are doing a slide so you have to keep the pressure on.

Keep working it. I'm doing that same song right now.

rcsnydley

Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:27 am

I would think that the grease from fried chicken would help the lubricate the strings for sliding. BigBear, maybe you've hit on something, now just how to market it. lol:laugh:

Keep Playing
Ric

Chasplaya

Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:25 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
I would think that the grease from fried chicken would help the lubricate the strings for sliding. BigBear, maybe you've hit on something, now just how to market it. lol:laugh:

Keep Playing
Ric
I'm not sure you'd have to determine whats in the Colonels 11 secret herbs/spices etc as they might be corrosive, yuck if thats the case what does it do to our digestive system lol Visions of melting guitar strings...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic