Guitar Chords

tabs

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:45 am

thnx kenny ,

another problem with me is that i dont really know how to switch between chords !
and i dont have a full background of all other chords !

KennyF

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:50 am

tabs wrote:
thnx kenny ,

another problem with me is that i dont really know how to switch between chords !
Good that you mentioned that. Neil has a beginner video that addresses that very issue. I'm pretty sure that it's the "Free Bird" lesson.

Chasplaya

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:20 pm

tabs wrote:
thnx kenny ,

Whilst I haven't looked at all Neils Lessons yet, You previously mentioned you know a few chords already, the thing to do is to just strum along 4 down strokes on each don't worry about time between changes initially what is called muscle memory will kick in eventually, but it does require practice. If I were you i'd also take a look at what Neil is offering in the programme as kennyf mentions. With some chord changes you will eventually discover that you don't need to move all your fingers each time, an old teacher of mine said some fingers are 'sticky fingers' and don't always need to move. This knowledge will come in time and with practice.

tabs

Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:51 am

i saw the free bird video lesson by neil ,, it has great info . although i have no idea of those songs in the list !

i'll keep comin with questions !

thanx again

AndyT

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:38 am

Tabs, what if we choose a very beginner song that you would know and give you the chords for it. Then you only have to play it enough times until it begins to sound like music. Thats when things will begin to make sense to you.

Lets try 'Happy Birthday'.

The chords are:
D A D G D A D

If you can sing the song, then you know when to change the chords. To begin with, play each chord with a down-strum 4 times and then change to the next chord. Start with the 'D' and go from there. When you can play this, you will begin to understand how the guitar works.

In the music, where it says play a 'A7' just use a normal A Major instead. It won't make any difference.

Or you can strum it the way it shows in the music. Each slash mark is a strum. they are called 'Crotchets'. you can play them instead of the straight 4 strums.

(Click the music for a bigger picture)

tabs

Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:26 pm

thankyou andy for the tip ,,
i'll try my best to play that as a beginning .

i have a question about the G chord :
i see it played in two different ways :

1. using only 3 fingers : 5th string second fret & 1st n 6th strings on the third fret .

2. using 4 fingers : 5th string second fret , 1st n 2nd n 6th strings on third fret .
i wonder if both are same ??

AndyT

Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:42 pm

They are slightly different, but they are interchangeable. Use the one that works best for you until you learn something different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic