Left Hand Position

AndyT

Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:07 pm

I used to be a professional Martial Artist. As such, my hands and fingers are all mostly twisted in one direction or another and its almost physically impossible for me to get correct left hand position.

Any suggestions?

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:05 pm

AndyT wrote:
I used to be a professional Martial Artist. As such, my hands and fingers are all mostly twisted in one direction or another and its almost physically impossible for me to get correct left hand position.

Any suggestions?
Use Japanese made guitars...

Sorry couldn't resist, i have a left hand challenge my pinky was broken when I was little and it was obvioulsy never noticed by my parents (they never could understand my constant screaming!!) and as such has set slightly crooked at one joint and I can't straighten/flatten it I also have very limited strength in it making some chords nigh imposssible ie using the pinky on open G is possible but I can't make a quick transition.

haoli25

Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:22 pm

Well, GRASSHOPPER (couldn't resist), there is a
right way to do things and there is the way that
works for you.
As you have no doubt seen from many other great
guitarist, not all of them practice perfect form
and technique. I see many of them with improper
left hand position, little finger of their right
hand braced on the soundboard for fingerpicking,
etc. A lot of NEIL'S DON'TS work just fine for
them.
I think the idea is to correct the things you can,
and work around the things you can't correct. It
may come down to having perfect form and play poorly,
or having bad form and playing well.

Like the rest of us, just keep practicing.

Haoli

KennyF

Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:40 pm

AndyT wrote:
I used to be a professional Martial Artist.
A professional martial artist? Really? Do tell...

wrench

Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:21 pm

AndyT,

In terms of left hand position, I think the one thing you can't compromise on would be the thumb position. Beyond that, look at each of your fingers, and determine what advantage each finger gives you. For everything an abnormal finger prevents you from doing, it will enable you to do something else. For example, I have a mangled pinky, and I can't reach the low E string with it, but it makes my B's and Bb's automatic.

For those moves that are difficult fofr you to achieve the conventional way, find an AndyT way. If you achieved professional martial arts status, you are clearly gifted with skill and intelligence. I have a lot of confidence you could beat a guitar, too. It won't even fight back.

wrench

AndyT

Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:49 am

Kenny,
I used to teach and fight in tourneys. I've won a few, lost a few, tied a few.
Southern Shaolin / Hung Gar, Choi Kwang Do, Tang Soo Do / Han Moo Kwan, Taekwondo.

Yep, I figure I'll just keep on plugging along until I run into something I have to modify to get where I'm going. My hands look mostly normal until you look at the Xrays. Jigsaw puzzle!

My biggest problem is keeping my hand off the high e string while I play. I'm always getting my palm on it and muting it. Gotta be something I can do short of surgery.

kirbster

Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am

Rev. Gary Davis apparently broke his wrist as a youth. The legend has it that his wrist healed incorrectly and that's what enabled him to do those outrageous left hand positions. Obviously you have to find and go with what works for you. Don't let convention limit you.

KennyF

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:20 am

AndyT wrote:
Kenny,
I used to teach and fight in tourneys. I've won a few, lost a few, tied a few.
Southern Shaolin / Hung Gar, Choi Kwang Do, Tang Soo Do / Han Moo Kwan, Taekwondo.
Oh... Cool. You may find this interesting, or not: kennyf.com Click on the Martial Art tab.

Kenny

AndyT

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:50 am

Kenny,

I wrote an article you might find interesting. I'll look for it and send you a copy.

I agree about 95% with the ones you wrote.

KennyF

Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:14 am

AndyT wrote:
Kenny,

I wrote an article you might find interesting. I'll look for it and send you a copy.

I agree about 95% with the ones you wrote.
Good deal Andy. I'm looking forward to it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic