Neil's Guitar

albedoya

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:29 pm

Hello all,
I am new here, so forgive me if this has been asked before.
I really like the sound of Neil's guitar.
I've been looking here and reading everything I can to find out if any one knows what is the guitar Neil plays on most of his videos.
I'm guessing it's a Seagull. Can anyone confirm?
I'd like to know the make and model.

Thanks in advance

rcsnydley

Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:42 pm

No, neither of Neil's guitars are Seagulls, (which are great guitars by the way, I own one an love it). The guitar with the fancy fretboard inlay is a Santa Cruz guitar and the other with no fretboard markings is a custom made by some one who's name escapes me a this time.

Neil, you can correct me if I'm wrong on this and perhaps put a sticky up somewhere telling everyone what your guitars are.

Keep Playing
Ric

spags

Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:09 am

Hi Gang,

You are right about the fancy inlay guitar, although I'm not sure I'd call it fancy (google Tree of Life something or other). It was made for me by the Santa Cruz Guitar Company in 1981 when there were 2 guys, Bruce Ross and Richard Hoover building some guitars a few years ahead of their time. As a matter of fact, the inlays and logo on the headstock were hand done by Richard's wife Beth.

The other guitar, without any fretboard markers was built by Ed Claxton around 2001. Ed is also in Santa Cruz and stays off most people's radar unless you are a seriously sick guitar geek (SSGG around here, not to be confused with SCGC).

That's the scoop for now...

Neil

BigBear

Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:05 am

Neil- how are those two guitars miked? They both sound great but the Claxton sounds better to me. A little smoother maybe. Are they both rosewood?

AndyT

Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:06 am

Neil,
Do you still have the guitar store?
Can Target members get a discount from you?

And;

Have you ever heard of Babicz guitars? I played a 6 string and the sound was stunning.

KennyF

Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:06 pm

Guitars store coming .....

;)

With Discounts !

agentcooper

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:14 pm

I don't see any mics in the videos so it must be the mic on the camera. The Claxton DOES sound great though.

-Dale

BigBear

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:26 pm

agentcooper wrote:
I don't see any mics in the videos so it must be the mic on the camera. The Claxton DOES sound great though.

-Dale
Hey Dale, welcome to the program and your first post!! Glad to have you here.

I think both of Neil's guitars are internally miked. I really doubt a camcorder mike could create that much punch. I've been asking how they are miked but Neil hasn't responded yet.

Neil- did you see this request for how your guitars are miked?

AndyT

Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:39 pm

Bear, YELLING at the man is only going to give him a complex about his hearing aid. Be nice you fur bearin' varmit. :P

agentcooper

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:09 pm

Bear, you could be right, hopefully he'll let us know, cause I'm curious too, I just think that if he were miking the guitars, it would involve a more extensive mixing process when he edits the videos, which would definitely create a gigantic lag, causing him to be unable crank out a million videos a second.

Just a thought. Them's ain't fightin' words.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic