Neil's Guitar

haoli25

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Neil does like old stuff. I'm surprised he is not
using an RCA Type 77-A Ribbon microphone.:woohoo:

BigBear

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:26 pm

AndyT wrote:
Bear, YELLING at the man is only going to give him a complex about his hearing aid. Be nice you fur bearin' varmit. :P
I'm not yelling- that would be all caps you silly wabbit! I'm just making sure that the Master sees my request!! :lol:

BigBear

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:34 pm

We use two cans and a piece of string in all of our high quality recordings....

;)

BigBear

Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:19 am

agentcooper wrote:
Bear, you could be right, hopefully he'll let us know, cause I'm curious too, I just think that if he were miking the guitars, it would involve a more extensive mixing process when he edits the videos, which would definitely create a gigantic lag, causing him to be unable crank out a million videos a second.

Just a thought. Them's ain't fightin' words.
You're probably right, it would be really hard to get all that in synch wouldn't it? He might be able to feed his guitar mike into a mixing box and then directly into the camera so it stayed together. To quote a famous message sent to Adm. Bill Halsey "...the world wonders"

Ain't life great when we can worry about how guitars are miked? ROFL!!

agentcooper

Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:29 pm

BigBear wrote:
agentcooper wrote:
Bear, you could be right, hopefully he'll let us know, cause I'm curious too, I just think that if he were miking the guitars, it would involve a more extensive mixing process when he edits the videos, which would definitely create a gigantic lag, causing him to be unable crank out a million videos a second.

Just a thought. Them's ain't fightin' words.
You're probably right, it would be really hard to get all that in synch wouldn't it? He might be able to feed his guitar mike into a mixing box and then directly into the camera so it stayed together. To quote a famous message sent to Adm. Bill Halsey "...the world wonders"

Ain't life great when we can worry about how guitars are miked? ROFL!!

Yeah, I should be worried about miking my own guitar, not how Neil does his. But then again... I'm a firm believer in a decent mic and a great pre than a great mic and a garbage pre. Ya know, garbage in, garbage out. Luckily, this doesn't seem to be an issue for our education.

-Dale

agentcooper

Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:37 pm

Hi Guys,

I guess it wouldn't be too much trouble to spill a few trade secrets. As agentcooper surmised, I just use the mic on the camera, a Sony SR-12 or something like that. It would definitely slow me down significantly to add any mixing process.

As far as the guitars go, the SCGC is maple back & sides with an Adirondack spruce top. The back is carved into an arch to help focus the sound. The guitar is more punchy than warm.

The Claxton has a warmer sound and has koa back & sides with a German spruce top.

Maybe on next week's TARGET Live I'll talk a little more about the guitars.

Thanks for the interest...

Neil

agentcooper

Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:48 pm

Yeah, if I recall correctly you went over it in detail on one of the TG live sessions. It'd be really cool if to see a short on the discussion of tonewoods, and how they compliment each other.

Thanks Neil!

-Dale

BigBear

Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:13 pm

Neil wrote:
As agentcooper surmised, I just use the mic on the camera, a Sony SR-12 or something like that. It would definitely slow me down significantly to add any mixing process.
WOW, I stand corrected!! :lol: Great sound without a pickup or soundhole mike!!

agentcooper

Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:27 pm

Bear, I think you owe me a gin and tonic. I accept digital drinks, although my ethernet cable can't really hold its liquor.

-Dale

BigBear

Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:41 pm

agentcooper wrote:
Bear, I think you owe me a gin and tonic. I accept digital drinks, although my ethernet cable can't really hold its liquor.

-Dale
Is that with a twist of lime? That sounds really good right now!! Heck, it's Friday!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic