Alternate Tunings and Playing With Others

rcsnydley

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:54 pm

BigBear wrote:
AndyT wrote:
You guys have multiple guitars? Ohoooo... riches...
I only have four. I'd have about three times that many if I wasn't married. There are days... LOL!
Bear - I hope your wife doesn't read this forum or does she and that's that your plan?

Ric

rcsnydley

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:57 pm

What was the original thread again?:blink:

Ric

rcsnydley

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:59 pm

gingold wrote:
AndyT wrote:
If you have EEEEEE tuning (I know, its not a real tuning, example) and I'm in standard, if we both play a G chord, does it sound ok? Do they go together?
Yes. The notes for the G chord (for example) are the same no matter what tuning you're in. However, the notes may be arranged differently with an alternate tuning. For example, someone plays a G chord in standard tuning the root is on the sixth string, the third is on the fifth string and the open second string, etc. In an open G tuning G chord the root is now on the third string, the third is only on the open second string, etc.

So, the notes are the same--just arranged differently.
Oh yeah, now I remember.

Gingold hit it right on. A G is a G is a G, a chord in any other tuning with the notes contained in a G chord is still a G chord.

Keep Playing
Ric

BigBear

Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:33 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
Bear - I hope your wife doesn't read this forum or does she and that's that your plan?
No, she has no interest but she did wonder if I had an on-line girlfriend since I'm on here so much. She says when I die she is going to have a big bonfire using both my Taylors, my Larrivee and my Gibson LP as firewood! Not a good visual! I really hope she's kidding but with her you never know!:lol:

michaelaaron

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:41 pm

AS long as both or however many guitars are in tune with each other, it is perfectly fine to have some playing in alternate tunings and some in standard. In fact, in many cases it's preferable. Too often, 2 or more guitarists jamming acoustically will play in the same area of the fretboard and use the same voicings. That's about as useful as a girl group with 3 women, none of which sing any harmonies (Bananarama). I've often found it wise to have a lot of space between what I am playing and what my buddy might be playing. For example, if you are both strumming away and belting out "Closer to Fine" by the Indigo Girls, in G, it's a richer sound if one of you plays the song in G and the other in D with a capo on the 4th Fret. You get a fuller, fatter sound with more texture. Playing in alternate tunings automatically gives you some sonic variety from the player playing in standard.

haoli25

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Great tips, MICHAELAARON....keep 'em coming.

AndyT

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:25 pm

Good post michaelaaron.
Here's some karma for you.

rcsnydley

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:15 am

michaelaaron wrote:
AS long as both or however many guitars are in tune with each other, it is perfectly fine to have some playing in alternate tunings and some in standard. In fact, in many cases it's preferable. Too often, 2 or more guitarists jamming acoustically will play in the same area of the fretboard and use the same voicings. That's about as useful as a girl group with 3 women, none of which sing any harmonies (Bananarama). I've often found it wise to have a lot of space between what I am playing and what my buddy might be playing. For example, if you are both strumming away and belting out "Closer to Fine" by the Indigo Girls, in G, it's a richer sound if one of you plays the song in G and the other in D with a capo on the 4th Fret. You get a fuller, fatter sound with more texture. Playing in alternate tunings automatically gives you some sonic variety from the player playing in standard.
Great post michaelaaron and something that is not addressed enough. Finding different voicings of the same chord and this can include just using 3 string triads. The changing key and capoing is another great way to add depth to a song with multiple guitars.

We can also add alternate tunings to the arsenal and thanks to michaelaaron hopefully we will learn more about how to do this. I would also like to see some discussion on ways to make songs with multiple guitars sound better.

Keep Playing
Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic