changed strings now a reasonating buzz at the neck

machoy4617

Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:52 pm

How long are you waiting after your adjustments? Truss rod adjustments usually take a while before their full effect is known. It sounds like you got some added relief from previous adjustments so at least it's probably safe to assume the rod's not stripped.

One last thing: I haven't read every post in this thread but if someone hasn't mentioned it yet I will--do your truss rod adjustments with the strings on.

quincy451

Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:04 pm

Yes I have strings on and at full pitch. I did the 3 turns one after the other checking relief after each one. Then I played it for a while...and then I put it down for a couple hours and checked it...to find it needs more adjustment. But I have not done my second round of adjustments yet. But to answer your question I do a quarter turn, check relief. quarter turn check relief. Then if I think I have better relief I just play it for a while to test it. Then I figure to repeat the play test the next day.

I can understand the truss rod adjustments taking a while to see the affect. When I first put the strings on, it took a while for that affect of that a (reverse rod adjustment if you will) to be seen. I might need or want to go up one light gage strings. Just not sure yet...once I have that figured out...I will most likely go with a full setup to get everything working right.

BigBear

Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:51 pm

Right on. I will say one more thing about a common misconception. Not all acoustic guitars have--or need--visible neck relief. In fact, there's a school of thought in lutherie that a zero relief neck is ideal. I'm not saying in your case that zero relief is ideal, I'm just saying neck relief is sometimes overstressed.

KennyF

Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:17 am

gingold wrote:
Right on. I will say one more thing about a common misconception. Not all acoustic guitars have--or need--visible neck relief. In fact, there's a school of thought in lutherie that a zero relief neck is ideal. I'm not saying in your case that zero relief is ideal, I'm just saying neck relief is sometimes overstressed.
That's true and largely dependent on the overall quality of the guitar.

jlguitar

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:36 pm

kennyf wrote:
gingold wrote:
Not to mention zero relief guitars are usually designed to set up that way. Most other guitars would need a bit of tweaking to get them to play well with no neck relief.

BigBear

Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:58 pm

gingold wrote:

I've been following this thread pretty well up 'til now but you and Kenny stumped me with "neck relief". Can you define that? Is that where the neck attaches to the body?

I was especially interested in your reference to guitar quality. Are we comparing a bolted on neck to a dovetail neck?

Thanks!

KennyF

Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:25 pm

gingold wrote:
kennyf wrote:
gingold wrote:
Not to mention zero relief guitars are usually designed to set up that way. Most other guitars would need a bit of tweaking to get them to play well with no neck relief.
Yup! All three of my Gibson's and my Martin are set up with no relief, totally straight.

tgjameela

Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:30 pm

BigBear wrote:
gingold wrote:

I've been following this thread pretty well up 'til now but you and Kenny stumped me with "neck relief". Can you define that? Is that where the neck attaches to the body?

I was especially interested in your reference to guitar quality. Are we comparing a bolted on neck to a dovetail neck?

Thanks!
Neck relief is how the neck is bowed (or not). Check out the images below. The comment on the quality of the guitar was meant to suggest that a well-made guitar will be able to take more set up options.

quincy451

Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:46 am

awesome pictural explaination. Nothing much to say after that. But I have heard that some neck relief is good because then you know you are not in a back bow situation. But alas I don't know if the guitar was originally straight or had some relief. I was also ignorant to what neck relief was when I put the new strings on. But I do have a musician friend who has the same instrument and played with the truss rod long before I did. He adjusted his out of the box. Me I thought mine sounded fine so I didn't mess with it. But it is interesting to me that he failed to get these strings to successful work without buzzing. He went up to light instread of extra light and got good sound after setting the truss rod. So it is something of a personal challenge to see if I can get to play sweat. Alas I can rule out one cause on fret.com's buzz list. Technic. For I have another guitar and don't have these issues with it. So I am playing it mostly at the moment until I finalize my trus rod adjustments on the other one. Currently it is just an issue of time to wrok with it.

KennyF

Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:18 am

Heads up guys. If you haven't done so already, save this image.

You know what they say; "A picture says a thousand words..."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic