changed strings now a reasonating buzz at the neck

quincy451

Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:38 pm

Well, I serious messed up with my jasmine. I wanted more playable lighter strings on it. So I put a set of Elixir extra lights on it with the ployweb coating. It was supposed to make it more playable and sound better. Well, it does make it more playable. It also makes it a lot less bright which I like. A personal preference thing. But now I am getting a resonating buzz coming from high up on the neck when I play the E, A, or D open strings or any fretted note on them. I play all 6 strings and the resonating buzz is almost not heard.

Now when I got the guitar it played well in my option. So I never messed with the truss rod adjustment. I am thinking that needs to be tighted. But I am weighing two options:
1) try to tight the truss rod and hope I don't affect the neck and other playablity issues.
2) just take it to a tech and say. Fix if possible.

Suggestions thanks,

David

AndyT

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:26 pm

The purpose of the truss rod is to keep the neck straight. You should never have to turn it more than a quarter turn once or twice a year. If you haven't adjusted it in a long time, then take the strings off and leave it sit for a day. That will allow the neck to re-bend itself backwards a bit.

It sounds to me like the problem is more likely in the nut. The slots are too big for those strings and so they sit lower to the fret and you get buzzing.

You have a couple of options.
1. Replace the nut.
2. Use heavier strings.

KennyF

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:40 pm

WAIT!!!

Not trying to step on Andy's toes, but what is most likely occurring is that the lighter gauge strings are placing less tension on the neck, which is causing the neck to back bow.

Now, I'm not sure what the neck relief spec would be on that guitar, but you can check for back bow by placing a capo at the first fret, then fret the low "E" on the 14th (or whatever the last fret is where the neck meets the body), then check to see if there is any gap between the string and the 7th fret. If the string is touching the 7th fret (no gap), then you need to loosen the truss rod to correct the back bow.

Kenny

P.S. If you are not comfortable with this, I would suggest that you take it to your local luthier. It's really not a big deal and it won't cost a lot.

AndyT

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Thanks Kenny. That was the other option I didn't mention. LOL

KennyF

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:43 pm

AndyT wrote:
Thanks Kenny. That was the other option I didn't mention. LOL
I hear ya brother! :laugh:

kelemenj

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:07 pm

A back-bowed neck is certainly a possibility. Add to that the smaller diameter/tension of extra light strings and you could have buzzing issues. You mentioned the buzzing is coming from the higher frets. Do you know approx. which fret(s)?

BigBear

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:59 pm

Neil mentioned this problem in one of his webinars when asked what gauge strings he uses (mediums). You can't routinely change string gauge without adjusting both the neck and probably the nut (and maybe the bridge).

I have spent a fair amount of money on luthiers setting up my guitars to the strings I prefer (medium light 0.12). I would strongly suggest finding a gauge you like and sticking with it. You can always try different brands or coating but stay with the gauge the guitar was set up for.

Now you may be a handy guy and don't mind experimenting on your guitar. I'm pretty handy with wood and I won't touch any of my intruments. Take you guitar to a competent luthier, pay your $40-50 bucks and walk away happy! Only way to go IMHO!

haoli25

Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:13 pm

I have a simple rule to follow.

I have one expensive custom made guitar. Anything that
goes wrong with it, I take it to the shop and let the
pros take care of it.

The less expensive cousins I work on myself, from adjusting
the truss rod to fine tuning the saddle. So far with good
results.

If you are not comfortable making the adjustments, by all
means take it to the pros. It will be money well spent.

KennyF

Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:30 am

BigBear wrote:
I would strongly suggest finding a gauge you like and sticking with it. You can always try different brands or coating but stay with the gauge the guitar was set up for.
And there ya have it! Words of wisdom! Image

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:35 am

From my own experience its most likely going to be the nut as the slots will be to large and cos you gone lighter theres not a lot can be done with it other than change it. Depending on the value of your guitar and your confidence it can be done yourself. Me if it were any of mine which are leaning towards top end guitars I'd go to luthier. MOst luthiers recommend not playing with the truss rod too much unless you are extra confident and knowledgeable, get that bit wrong and it could be goodbye guitar or hello big account for repairs

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic