speedie

Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:04 am

I started playing the guitar because it seemed so
versatile compared to other musical instruments I
just wish I could learn to read music. Tabs are okay
but they only go so far.

tgjameela

Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:14 pm

Keith Richards. I loved the Stones (still do!) and wanted to learn how to play like Keith. That was 28 years ago and my guitar playing has evolved quite a bit, but at the core of my playing is that early motivation.

haoli25

Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:15 pm

Poor balance and coordination told me that
I might really suck at 'Interpretive Dance?'
:laugh:

Music Junkie

Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:47 pm

The Chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O.K. not really, considering I did not even try it out till I was WELL into my 30's........

I have always loved music and really loved the versatility of the guitar. Watching some of the greats play was just so amazing and very motivating.

MJ

haoli25

Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:22 pm

Actually, I started playing in 1965. Like GINGOLD
said, I think watching Keith Richards and George
Harrison made me want to pick up the guitar and
see if this was actually something a normal human
could really do.
After all of these years, the guitar is still NEW
to me, never boring, and best of all I am still
learning and having fun doing it.

jim56

Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:51 pm

Having grown up during the late 60s and early 70s I was exposed to some great Rock and Roll music! I started playing trumpet in 6th grade so I learned who to read music. Now married, and with kids, my daughter wanted to buy a guitar with her birthday gift card. I bought her one and one for me (I figured I'd better get started before arthritis sets in :-) I wanted to get her started early with music. Her younger brother didn't want to be left out so he too has a guitar. Surfing YouTube I found many videos about learning guitar. But TG was a quality site so I started to get involved and the day TARGET went live I knew this was for me. So, I am one of the first plankowners of TG TARGET. I have learned more in the last 2 months from Neil Hogan than in the last 6 months from a private instructor. Neil plays a lot of the music I grew up with (probably because we are the same age). His playing is so motivating and his teaching skills are outstanding.

rcsnydley

Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:55 pm

I grew up with rock in the 60s and 70s, everyone wanted to play guitar. I always liked to sing and the guitar is a great accompaniment instrument.

Keep Playing
Ric

Guitarmom

Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:04 pm

At the age of five I had a little plastic uke, and it was my pride and joy. That little uke went with me everywhere... until I left it on my fathers chair...and he sat on it! I was so heartbroken, they went out and bought me a good quality wooden uke. As I grew, I shifted over to a baritone uke and tenor banjo. That was followed by a 3/4 guitar and 5 string banjo. From there I was in High school and Folk Music was in full swing. I had a Folk/Rock group in So Calif and we played throughout the area every weekend. Everything from summers at Disneyland to private parties. Eventually I graduated to studio work as vocal backup and rhythm guitar. I became part of a group and toured singing and playing guitar with Mathis, Mancini, Sinatra Jr, and many many more. A particular highlight was a Christmas Album with Julie Andrews. Today I still play weekly but the audience is either a congregation, nursing home or at a hospital.

Joy,

Rev Kate

haoli25

Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Rev. Kate that is a great story and it sure is
good to have you back in the Forum. Several
of us had become concerned because we hadn't
seen GUITARMOM on the boards.

AndyT

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:05 pm

Welcome back Kate! We were praying for you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic