What Made You Start Playing Guitar?

BigBear

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:08 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
The Chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was my reason too!! Didn't work out so well but figured it was worth a try!! :lol:

Had a garage band in the 60's called Glass Onion. It was a blast! I miss those days when enthusiasm could overcome any lack of ability. We thought we were really cool playing Gloria, House of the Rising Sun, As Tears Go By, Sunshine of Your Love, Dino's Song, Pride of Man and White Rabbit as I recall!! Eric and Grace had nothing to worry about!!

AndyT

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:25 pm

I grew up in a musical family and the guitar was my favorite instrument. I simply could not envision myself walking around with an accordion.

haoli25

Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:32 pm

I don't know about anyone else but this is really
fascinating for me. It is interesting to hear
about the journeys that has got us here to TG.

I hope that Neil and Matt can chime in too on this one.

KennyF

Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:55 am

I was a schooled drummer from the time I was 13. At about 16, the guitar player in the band I was in bought a new guitar and gave me his old one to tinker around on. A few years later I bought an Ibanez Les Paul copy (I wish I still had it). A few years after that, I traded the Ibanez for a Gibson Les Paul Custom. At about age 20, I was the drummer in a semi-pro band with some real good players, one of which was guitar teacher.

Now... Here's where it gets interesting...

I was actively working at being the best drummer I could be, and even though I never really gave it much thought at the time, my Les Paul was always in my hands and went just about everywhere with me.

Okay, blah, blah, blah... Fast forward the clock to age 32...

A friend invites me out to sit in with his band at a local club. This guy has no idea that I play guitar. He thinks that I'm coming there to play drums, but I showed up with my LP and a processor pedal. I ended playing lead for about half the night.

Then it dawned on me... "Man, I really love this instrument and seems to come natural to me". When I say natural, I mean that I was always learning, but not actively trying to get anywhere with it. I didn't even consider myself a guitar player. There was no tension whatsoever.

I think that was the beginning of the end of my life with drums, and from that point forward, I focused all my energy on guitar. In fact, I don't even own a drum kit anymore.

I'm 48 now and there still is not a day that goes by where I don't play for hours. My wife get's a kick out of it, because at the end of the day, we'll be laying in bed with the TV on and I'm subconsciously playing lead riffs on my trusty LP Goldtop over the commercials and stuff.

Ya can't makes this stuff up... :laugh:

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:22 am

A bunch of guys I hung around with in the mid 70's (all a couple of years older than me) were into Eagles and Little Feat etc etc and I liked that music more than the other pop crap, a few of them were in a band so endeavouring to keep up I bought a Vox Teardrop from a second hand store and a small practice amp. The Vox was identical to one Brian Jones used in the Rolling Stones white with lavishes of chrome...so I was wayyy cool back then, and it worked with the chicks lol. I really had no idea about what I was doing with it, but I had a good mate who was a natural and he showed me a few things and I copied (not learnt) just copied him i got into a band on false pretences lol.

Then life moved on got married couldn't afford stuff all least of al a guitar, I bought one once on HP and the 1st wife told me to take it back as we couldn't really afford it bahhhh.

So when I got divorced 20yrs later first thing I bought was a guitar and it all started again

Guitarmom

Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:05 am

haoli25 wrote:
Rev. Kate that is a great story and it sure is
good to have you back in the Forum. Several
of us had become concerned because we hadn't
seen GUITARMOM on the boards.
Many Thanks Chas, Andy T & Haoli25! It is always nice coming home to friends. 0:)

Rev Kate

Rod

Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:19 am

Seeing this guitar made me want to learn. Eric Claptons Blackie.
http://www.totallyguitars.com/community ... otoid=1280

Rod...

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:20 pm

Rod wrote:

Rod...
Drool I want one.... Even if its the replica from the Custom shop i'd be happy.

rcsnydley

Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:24 pm

Rod wrote:

Rod...
How do they get it to float like that? :P

Ric

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:46 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
Rod wrote:

Rod...
How do they get it to float like that? :P

Ric
Maybe its true.... Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic