What has you stumped?

AndyT

Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:21 pm

What has been holding you back on your playing so far? Is there anything that if you could get it down better then your playing would take off into a huge new world?

For me, I've been struggling with getting my strumming down. I can play with a metronome, even do patterns as long as the metronome is running, but when I'm playing the song, I loose the pattern. Usually when it goes from verse to chorus. Neil gave me some good tips on the last TG Live session, but I guess I just need to work it some more till I get it.

What is your big stumbling block?

BigBear

Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:21 am

AndyT wrote:
You're just full of good questions tonight aren't you!!

My biggest problem, by far, is remembering what I've learned. I can play a song a hundred times and I still don't remember the chords or the lead. It is extremely frustrating because if I want to play in front of someone I have to pull out the "Ole Song Book" and pretend I know the song.

Some players never forget a song. I never remember one.

My second biggest challenge is picking accuracy. I still hit way too many clunkers for my taste. This is just practice I'm afraid. I know everyone does it, even Neil, but I expect better accuracy at my skill level.

But other than that Mrs. Lincoln, the play was pretty good!!! :lol:

Chasplaya

Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:07 am

AndyT wrote:
Me its probably poor left hand position

KennyF

Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:58 am

AndyT wrote:
For me, I've been struggling with getting my strumming down. I can play with a metronome, even do patterns as long as the metronome is running, but when I'm playing the song, I loose the pattern. Usually when it goes from verse to chorus. Neil gave me some good tips on the last TG Live session, but I guess I just need to work it some more till I get it.
Not to worry Andy. What you are experiencing right now is what's commonly known in the golf world as; "Too many swing thoughts". Meaning, your brain is focusing on too many things at one time. Just keep your foot going with the beat of the metronome and soon it will become automatic without conscious thought.

BigBear

Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:43 am

kennyf wrote:
What you are experiencing right now is what's commonly known in the golf world as; "Too many swing thoughts".

I limit myself to 17 swing thoughts per swing!!!! ROFL!!

Good analogy Kenny!!! :lol:

KennyF

Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:09 am

BigBear wrote:
kennyf wrote:
What you are experiencing right now is what's commonly known in the golf world as; "Too many swing thoughts".

I limit myself to 17 swing thoughts per swing!!!! ROFL!!

Good analogy Kenny!!! :lol:
I hear ya brother! In the golf world, "I'm" commonly referred to as a HACK! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

rcsnydley

Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:58 am

I have two that I'm working on getting beyond.

The first is playing fingerpicking in the right order with my right hand. For some reason when I play the right hand pattern slow everything is cool, but then when I take it up to speed or try singing to it I either lose the pattern or am not sure I am still doing as advertised.

The second is clean left hand finger placement. Too many clunkers for my satisfaction. I will say that my barre chords have cleaned up nicely since joining this site and following Neil's tips on left hand position. A word for any newbie, it makes a big difference do not ignore the proper left hand position.

I'm hoping with practice and being aware of tension in my body (arm, hand, shoulder, etc) I can greatly reduce both of these problems.

Keep Playing
Ric

TF28

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:30 pm

2 things.

1, alternative picking. It's easy with some songs that flow. I want to learn to play speed and neo-classical metal and it's really hard to do all down strokes on fast stuff.

2, the speed thing. I want to speed up.

AndyT

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:17 pm

TF28,
Work on doing doublets and triplets to a metronome with alternitive picking. Its a good way to develop some speed.

Tintin

Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:42 pm

9 chords, 13 chords, 11 chords....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic