Traveling With Your Guitar

willem

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi Gang,

After seeing the video about United Airlines and having traveled with a guitar a few times, I thought I would keep a little journal about taking my guitar on a trip this week. I am off to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, with my daughter who is playing in a softball tournament. I don't often take a guitar to these tournaments but this one will last all week and I figured I might get some time to play, and even PRACTICE a little.

I should mention that we are taking United Airlines. I figure they might be on their best behavior due to recent events and publicity.

We arrived at the San Jose airport around 6:00 AM and headed to the counter to check our bags. I was hoping to carry it on board but the Claxton is in a Calton case and a Colorado Case Company padded bag, making it probably too big for the overhead bin. I went ahead and paid the fees for bags, including some surcharge for special handling and asked the agent about insurance, or the best plan for carrying a pretty expensive instrument.

She told me that I should carry it to the gate and see what the agents there say, but that they might make me check it. I didn't really have a problem checking the guitar but the main thing to avoid is putting it on a conveyor belt and letting it disappear into the dark abyss behind sinister rubber flaps.

Not surprisingly, I was told that I would need to check the guitar at the gate. They printed up a tag and told me to carry it to the end of the ramp and put it on a cart that already had a guitar and a few other oversized bags. I did ask the handler at the cart to please hand check the bag and he said to me, "Oh, we hand check everything anyway." This didn't leave me with a strong feeling of confidence as I walked away from the cart and headed up the ramp.

I was also a little concerned about the fact that now the guitar would have to make the same connection we were, transferring in Denver, knowing that this was possibly a cause for concern as well.

On a side note, I have taken guitars on board in a gig bag before as well as checking them and frankly, there is a certain sense of probably false security with the "out of site, out of mind" philosophy.

As I write this, we have made it in Denver and I find myself a little concerned, but probably only because we have a couple hours layover and not much else to do. I just hope the guitar is being gently carried from baggage hold to baggage hold.

Anybody seen the flying pig lately?

I'll try to get back to you in a few hours after we get settled in Sioux Falls.

Neil

Chasplaya

Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:39 pm

Brave man really... PLus the song has already been written so that leaves either the book or a movie.. Hope all goes well...

haoli25

Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:15 pm

Neil is braver than I am. I hope the Claxton makes
the round trip unscathed.

I think I would rather have my guitars locked inside
an custom Anvil Case or a custom Pelican case before
they are placed at the mercy of an airline

Poor Neil, all of those years of practice and teaching
guitar, and now he has a gig as a "softball roadie". :laugh:

Sorry Neil, I couldn't resist.

AndyT

Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:34 pm

Its totally acceptable to be a roadie if it is for your own kids.

BigBear

Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:49 pm

Maybe it's just me but shipping a custom-made Ed Claxton on United Airlines gives rise to the question "travel guitar"? If this trip doesn't qualify what does? :lol:

AndyT

Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi Guys,

I have to admit it's a bit strange to call this a "travel guitar", but I really need it to get the most out of my work. Just last month I was in Longmont, Colorado, without my guitar. I managed to sneak off to a local store for a few minutes (Todd's Guitars.etc maybe?), and thought I could at least get some practice in. To sum it up- it wasn't happening with any guitars I picked up, including *x$3%^#! and &^w#@?*, as well as a few well known moderately priced guitars.

So, as strange as this seems, the Claxton is my travel guitar and a tool of the trade. There is a bit more to his story that I might get to another time but for now, let me get back to my day with United Airlines.

I have to admit I was a little nervous as I waited for the luggage in Sioux Falls. There was a bin that seemed to be used for oversized and unusual items. I hoped my guitar would be hand delivered there, especially when I saw a nice Fender electrice case in the bin. As I kind of kept an eye on both the belt and the bin (partly wondering where the heck the Fender owner was!), I was surprised to look back at our pile of bags and see my guitar. Apparently it had come out on the belt and Lizzie had grabbed it.

I took it over to another carousel and, with a bit of trepidation, unzipped the cover and opened the latches to find everything apparently in good order. I did have a bit of a doubting Thomas moment and grabbed the headstock to make sure it was still intact and all was well.

I am now half way through the adventure, at least as far as the airlines are concerned, and am breathing a sigh of relief. Now I just hope I can find, or make the time to play the darned thing, maybe even get to some video lessons on the road. I will keep you posted.

Stay tuned & in touch,

Neil

haoli25

Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:15 pm

That's got to be like entrusting an airline with
with a piece of fine art. That steel box is looking
better and better to me.

BigBear

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:56 am

Neil- you made my point. Anything so valuable to a professional musician that you can't find anything even close to practice on, is way too valuable, in my book, to ship on any airline! I just don't believe the baggage handlers care one wit about our guitars!!

You've got more guts than a buglar my friend!!! :lol:

AndyT

Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:13 am

I think I just might buy a ticket for mine. It can ride with me on its own seat.
Especially if I made my living with it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic