What Are You Working On??

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi Bear,

I'm currently working on From The Beginning, never played it before, then one day had nothing to do so i surfed over all the lessons in TG found the ELP section and that brought back memories so I just had to learn it. Its daunting to look at and listen to but not as hard as you think once you get into it. I am also plodding away on a list for my gig in November with the guys from work, not spending nearly enough time on them though, it'll be a last minute panic a week or so out lol

BigBear

Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:35 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Hi Bear,

I'm currently working on From The Beginning, never played it before, then one day had nothing to do so i surfed over all the lessons in TG found the ELP section and that brought back memories so I just had to learn it. Its daunting to look at and listen to but not as hard as you think once you get into it. I am also plodding away on a list for my gig in November with the guys from work, not spending nearly enough time on them though, it'll be a last minute panic a week or so out lol
Chas- What made From the Beginning work for me was Neil's teaching us the precussive attack. I also learned a lot about string muting from that lesson. I still don't have palm muting down quite right but I'm getting better the more blues I play. Seems the lower strings are always getting muted to make that chunky sound. It really sounds good through an amp!

I asked Neil on another thread to demonstrate the lead. He included the tab for it but it's got three each 3 to 4 note runs on the D, A, E strings and I can't figure out what they are supposed to sound like. I can play the runs easy enough but they don't seem to fit the song. I'm hoping Neil can get to it and complete that very good lesson. :cheer:

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi Bear I have a guitar pro of this which includes the lead.

Interestingly enough Greg Lake plays the song in various ways on You Tube he doesn't always dampen the strings with the left hand but mutes with the right and on another vid he plays that beat. The key is the last beat must be an upstroke on both the Dadd11/A and the CM7/A it always appears to be played that way no matter which version he's using. I found one very interesting vid (forgot to favourite it:unsure: ) where Greg uses a bend instead of the hammer-on and pull-off in the intro thats for the second hammer-on and Pull-off.

Catman

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:49 am

I'm working on Warm and Windy and Nothing Else Matters from TARGET, and Mad World off TARGET.

I haven't been able to work on my guitar playing as much as I would like for the past couple of weeks, so it's going slowly.

David

AndyT

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:21 am

I was just having too much trouble doing some basic things so I stopped everything and went back to the start. I'm correcting as many problems as I can and I know that will free me up a huge amount when I get back to playing songs again.

grahamg

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:39 am

Hi folks have been a target member for a while now. I am from Scotland and presently I am working on a few numbers - My favourite mistake ( Sheryl Crow ), Watershed by the Indigo Girls, also a couple of folk style songs in non-standard tunings Caledonia by Dougie Mclean ( open C ) and Who will sing me lullabies by Kate Rusby (double dropped D)

I play music with my brother and a couple of singers so get to do a good mix of material. Playing with others really improves the learing curve.....

cabro

Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:14 am

Chasplaya wrote:

Interestingly enough Greg Lake plays the song in various ways on You Tube he doesn't always dampen the strings with the left hand but mutes with the right and on another vid he plays that beat. The key is the last beat must be an upstroke on both the Dadd11/A and the CM7/A it always appears to be played that way no matter which version he's using. I found one very interesting vid (forgot to favourite it:unsure: ) where Greg uses a bend instead of the hammer-on and pull-off in the intro thats for the second hammer-on and Pull-off.
Hey Chas,

Might this be the vid you are thinking of?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrO9lmKQf1E

I can't get a hot link or vid to show up so copy and paste. It's from an ELP show in Switzerland in '97.

Chris

Music Junkie

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:18 am

Such a great song, I am so glad we have a lesson on this. It is very fun to play!

Thanks Neil!

MJ

:silly:

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:38 pm

cabro wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:

Hey Chas,

Might this be the vid you are thinking of?

I can't get a hot link or vid to show up so copy and paste. It's from an ELP show in Switzerland in '97.

Chris
Thanks Chris thats the one i'm pretty sure, there are actually a couple of the Swiss concert one really good and one from thye audience not so good. I can now favourite it thanks

speedie

Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:47 pm

I'm still working on Blackbird and Dust In The Wind. I just wish my fingers were a little longer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic