What Are You Working On??

BigBear

Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:34 am

With all the new content on the site I'm curious what everyone is working on? Any victories or defeats? Has TG inspired you to practice more?

AndyT

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:26 am

Mostly, paying the biils takes my time. But when I have time, I'm working on Brain Damage, Hotel California, and the beginning 5.

Lavallee

Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:38 am

I just finish Yesterday, which is the type of song that I really like (the voice style). It is now one that always do first when I pick up the guitar. Reworking finger positionning for Romanza(was using thumb and 2 first fingers for the 3 small strings). This is quite a challenge when the muscle memory is well entrenched and then you start over with another fingering. I am aslo working on California Dreamin and Anji by Bert Jansch.

Marc

BigBear

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:48 am

Lavallee wrote:
I just finish Yesterday, which is the type of song that I really like (the voice style). It is now one that always do first when I pick up the guitar. Reworking finger positionning for Romanza(was using thumb and 2 first fingers for the 3 small strings). This is quite a challenge when the muscle memory is well entrenched and then you start over with another fingering. I am aslo working on California Dreamin and Anji by Bert Jansch.
Marc- how many hours of work do you estimate it took you to learn Yesterday? Is learning a new song a function of muscle memory or pure repitition or some other factor?

I ask because it seems to take me a very long time to learn a new song although every time I play it I play it better. Like many people I suspect, I have a very hard time remembering a song. My theory is I get focused on playing the tab and don't really think about the song. I never get the song into context.

haoli25

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:12 pm

I have the opposite problem BEAR. I have always been able to learn songs very quickly, in fact, too quickly. Once I could play all of the notes and I had memorized them, it was on to the next song. After listening to Neil, I learned that you can play all of the notes and chords and still be very sloppy in your guitar playing. I am working to correct that now. I had learned to play "Classical Gas" back in the late 60s, but now I am re-learning that great song and this time I am learning to play it correctly with Neil's lesson.
Slowing everything has helped me a lot and certainly improved my guitar playing.

eagle670

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 pm

The last few days I have been spending alot of time learning more about theory. Found some good stuff on the net, thanks to several of you around here. Started last night learning the notes on the fretboard by string. I can only take so much of that before my mind starts to wander. Song wise I am kinda of in between learning new songs. I am finishing up a tune called "All I Ask of You", which is from the Phantom of the Opera sound track. My daughter loves this song and so I wanted to learn it. So now I have a delima on what to start next. My top three are "Here comes the Sun", "Nothing else Matters" or another chord melody tune, not from this site (sorry Neil), by Dusty Springfield called "You don't have to say you love me". As far as lenght of time to learn a tune, it seems to be different for each one. Harvest Moon I learn in one night, Starry, starry night, a chord melody tune, took about 4 weeks to learn. On average I would say about 2 weeks to really learn and get a good flow to the song. I am being real selective now on what I choose to jump into.

BigBear

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:52 pm

eagle670 wrote:
... On average I would say about 2 weeks to really learn and get a good flow to the song...
If a song takes 2 weeks to learn how many hours of practice would that be? Do you have it committed to memory at that point?

BigBear

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:54 pm

haoli25 wrote:
I have the opposite problem BEAR. I have always been able to learn songs very quickly, in fact, too quickly. Once I could play all of the notes and I had memorized them, it was on to the next song...
I am really jealous!! I would give up a little technique to learn songs quicker! You have a gift my friend!

caymandiver55

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:52 pm

I'm learning Neils version of classical gas after playing it differently for a number of years. Hotel California. He went over the top and made a lesson with a huge amount of useful info. I love the insight in this lesson, especially origins of shifting from one to 5 in different Keys. I'm in, spending to much time here, can't help it for now.;:laugh:

JJ

BigBear

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:57 pm

caymandiver55 wrote:
I'm learning Neils version of classical gas after playing it differently for a number of years. Hotel California. He went over the top and made a lesson with a huge amount of useful info. I love the insight in this lesson, especially origins of shifting from one to 5 in different Keys. I'm in, spending to much time here, can't help it for now.;:laugh:
Hey JJ, welcome to the program! Glad to have you with us! I learned Classical Gas a little differently too. Hotel California is great because you can learn any part you want from the 12-string picking to the lead. Nowhere on the web has this level of detail!

Anyway, good post, keep 'em coming!

Happy playin'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic