Starting from scratch at 50

pecanngrinnin

Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:04 pm

My parents bought me a guitar when the Beatles came to America. My cousin and me started going to a guitar teachers house to take lessons. I was in 2nd or 3rd grade and I really didn't catch on. I was more interested in watching the teachers lava lamp in the living room while my cousin was getting her lesson. Neither one of us learned much before the teacher told us and our parents that he was moving and could no longer give us lessons. Well he moved and as my cousin found out a few months later from one of her friends that she was taking guitar lessons. My cousin asked who she was getting lessons from so we could take them also. The girl gave my cousin the teachers name and address and it was the same teacher we had had and he had moved to another house in the same town. We were that bad. My parents ended up selling my guitar. I now have an accoustic guitar my wife bought me. I am going to try to learn to play watching the videos on Totally Guitars. Wish me luck.:dry:

BigBear

Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:23 pm

Yes, good luck! And, 45 years later I'm guessing you'll have the discipline and commitment this time! Welcome (back) to the world of the 6-string!

haoli25

Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:31 pm

Welcome aboard PECANNGRINNIN and welcome to the Totally Guitars Forum. I think you will find we have people at all levels of experience here. Watch Neil's videos and practice, practice, practice. :)
If you have any questions, either Neil or someone on this Forum will be happy to help you.

And by the way, at age 50, you are just a 'whippersnapper' around here. :laugh:

BigBear

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:52 pm

pecanngrinnin wrote:
I was more interested in watching the teachers lava lamp in the living room while my cousin was getting her lesson. I now have an accoustic guitar my wife bought me. I am going to try to learn to play watching the videos on Totally Guitars. Wish me luck.:dry:
Hey Bro! 50 ain't nothing on this site! You're just a kid around here! :lol: Welcome to TG! Lot's of great people and info around here.

After you get comfortable here take a hard look at the TARGET program. If you are serious about learning the guitar, it is the single best investment a beginner could make. In the three months I've belonged, my ability and knowledge have skyrocketed! I got lured in by the YouTube videos and Neil Hogan's pleasant style, But let me tell you, he is the real deal! He cares about his students and seeing us get better.

You will no doubt wonder whether TARGET is worth $20/month. We all wondered. It is, period.

Good luck and Happy Playin'

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi pecanngrinnin and welcome to TG its agreat place to be and a lot of like minded people here and a lot of senior citizens as well so your not alone, as some have said your a whippersnapper in comparison. The music apeals to our Generation the Instruction is great and its well worth the dollars. Need advice this is the place to get lots of it from members as well as Neil.

wrench

Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:48 pm

I started from scratch at 55, and my story is a lot like yours.

I kid on this forum about how much I suck at guitar, but all kidding aside, I'm really improving a lot, and much faster than I ever expected. I credit this to the lesson format in the TARGET program. The lessons blend song instruction, music theory, and Neil Hogan's own very effective tips all rolled into enjoyable songs we grew up listening to. While I understand I'll never perform or even excel, I'm really excited at the progress I've made here. I started playing less than five months ago.

We may not have the nimblest of fingers anymore, but we know why we're here, and I think that helps with the determination to keep working at it. You'll make it this time. Maybe you won't make it to the top of the Rock 'n Roll charts, but you'll make some pleasant music in a couple of months.

If you're really starting from scratch, I'll warn you that you will have finger pain for the first few months. Take it and keep going. It's worth it.

Welcome to TG.

wrench

AndyT

Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:32 am

Well, I'll let the old folks (Bear, Chas) tell you how young you are. LOL

Nothing like trying something you never got a good chance at before. Now you have some life experience behind you, you will be able to really get after it and start making some music. Welcome to TG.

BigBear

Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:57 pm

AndyT wrote:
Well, I'll let the old folks (Bear, Chas) tell you how young you are.

OUCH!!! :lol:

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:31 pm

AndyT wrote:
Well, I'll let the old folks (Bear, Chas) tell you how young you are. LOL

Nothing like trying something you never got a good chance at before. Now you have some life experience behind you, you will be able to really get after it and start making some music. Welcome to TG.

"Oooyaaa' :laugh: If anyone knows about life experience on this site it would be Andy..hes been around the longest I reckon lol.

There are quite a few starting from scratch so you are in good company and take advantage of those members at different levels the experiences of members show that you will not really encounter anything new and that someone here can help you out if need be. A big thing is perserverance and practice and a bit of patience

AndyT

Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:38 pm

Correct-a-mundo Chas. LOL

pecanngrinnin,
If you put in the time to practice, then you will learn. No promises on how long it takes because that depends on many things, but you will learn.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic