My fingers hurt

BigBear

Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:19 pm

mikerino wrote:
Wow I didn't know I was going to get so much help. Thanks everyone. I have an acoustic with a .10 guage E string and an electric with very small guage strings. The electric is the gentler of the two but other people play both of them and think they are fine. I like the suggestion of getting them professionally set up.
OK, going over to the introduce yourself page.
Mike- You've got really light strings now at .010 gauge. I play with .012 and they are labelled "Light" so if I was you I wouldn't go any lighter. Plus I think the tone of many guitars suffers with strings that light.

Wrench, Ric and Jim have offered good advice which should help you a lot.

Good luck!

goldleaf

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:32 pm

Mike, a lot of good posts re: finger pain and suggestions. One other possibility since you said your callouses fall off and you have to start again which is very painful. If your hands/finger tips are drying out they may tend to peel off, not good, you might try to use some skin softener on those callouses as they are your best friend as far as pain. That way the skin on your finger tips dosen't dry out and fall off & you keep your callouses. Also depends on what you do with your hands other than play guitar that might be causing them to dry out. Skin softener just on your finger tips, just enough to stop them from drying out and cracking might help. It works for me. Good luck, Gary.

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:45 pm

My callouses tend to dry up and fall off regularly, but the skin under them is still reasonably tough and I can play through it without too much pain. Someone mentioned the 12 string helping , as I play a 12 a lot I guess that helps as you spread the area in contact with the strings making for slightly larger callouses.

goldleaf

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:14 pm

I've found that when my callouses are starting to dry out is the time I use some skin softener. Gota treat those digits with care if you want to keep your skin from falling off. What ever works!! Gary

cosmicmechanic

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:24 pm

How about using a nail file to smooth out the callouses ?
This gets rid of the dried-out part, and a smooth, tough (and useful) base is all that remains.

goldleaf

Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:55 pm

Good tip. A combo of removing the already dead skin and some lotion to keep the callous under supple but thick enough to do it's job. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic