Guitar Strap For Acoustics with one Strap Button

sl83

Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:51 pm

I did the shoelace thing, but the edge of the strap gets in the way of my hand when I am playing near the headstock. I'd imagine the same problem would happen with a strap with a hole one one end and strings to tie on the other end. I was looking at this, but it looks like it might cause the same problem:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=420127

Here's what it looks like with the shoelace:

Problem is, I don't want to have anyone drill a hole in my guitar and put a 2nd button on the heel of the neck. :( Any suggestions?

jfletchey

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:19 pm

Martin makes a strap that fits under the strings in the location where you have the shoelace and has a button on it. It is flat and seems to give more room at the first fret. Check it out at either guitar center or musician's friend.
Hope this helps.
Indiana Jim

sl83

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:21 pm

Yeah, I linked to it in my original post ;)

It's cheap though, so I might just try it out.

Thanks!

AndyT

Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:38 pm

Adding a strap button to the guitar is not going to change the value of the guitar by much if any. Its a very easy procedure you can do yourself. And as far as I know, it frees the neck up to transmit vibration to the body better making the guitar sound better.

Unless you have a very expensive, one-of-a-kind guitar, I'd go for adding the button.

BigBear

Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 am

AndyT wrote:
Adding a strap button to the guitar is not going to change the value of the guitar by much if any. Its a very easy procedure you can do yourself. And as far as I know, it frees the neck up to transmit vibration to the body better making the guitar sound better.

Unless you have a very expensive, one-of-a-kind guitar, I'd go for adding the button.
I agree completely! I had a luthier put a neck pin on my 12 string and he charged me $12 for it. It was pretty simple, all you have to be careful of location and depth!.

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:13 pm

Planet Waves has a quick disconnect for guitar straps. Bought one for my Martin, and so far it has been pretty nice. Very inexpensive as well.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=420500

May not be what you are looking for or it may not work for you, but thought I would pass it on anyway.

sl83

Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks for the responses. I went with the martin strap button that goes above the nut on the guitar headstock.

I may eventually opt for a strap button to be mounted because I still don't like the way the strap kinda gets in the way of my hand.

wrench

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:42 pm

If your guitar has a glossy finish, I strongly recommend trying out potential locations for your permanent button installation.

2" suction cup from the local dollar store. Works better than you might imagine.

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:46 am

wrench wrote:
If your guitar has a glossy finish, I strongly recommend trying out potential locations for your permanent button installation.

2" suction cup from the local dollar store. Works better than you might imagine.
Our Dollar stores in NZ are now 3 Dollar stores inflatione Eh!! I would never trusts a suction cup with one of my precious babes. I'd invest in a luthier putting on a button at the heel of the neck.

BigBear

Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:33 am

Chasplaya wrote:
wrench wrote:

Our Dollar stores in NZ are now 3 Dollar stores inflatione Eh!! I would never trusts a suction cup with one of my precious babes. I'd invest in a luthier putting on a button at the heel of the neck.
I agree 100%. My Larrivee has the button on the base of the heel and my other guitars have it on the side of the heel on the underside. I think I like the underside better and that is the "official" Taylor position. Something to think about for resale purposes. You should put the button where the manufacturuer recommends! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic