fret leveling

quincy451

Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:13 am

Ok I have a yahama C-40 classical guitar. I am in the process of lowering the action on it at the saddle and replacing the nut and saddle to accomplish that. Figuring anything is better than the plastic it came with. Going with TUSQ for the material on both. But in the process of planning that I took a metal straight edge and started checking how level the frets where. I came to the conclusion the 2nd and 3rd fret where about 1/64 lower than the other 17 which are all the same.

So now what to do about it?
1) Nothing be grateful it is not worse.
2) Block sand all the frets down to match frets 2 and 3. Then sand the sides of each one to bring back the tip that just got flatten (recrowning the frets).
3) Since the frets are already flatter on top than my steel string. Bite the bullet get about 6 feet of fret wire and start over.
4) take a picture and add to this thread.

Thanks,
David

AndyT

Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:51 am

I would probably go with number 1. Grin and bear it. Unless you know how to do the fret work, I'd take it to a luthier to have it done. You can really mess up the playability of the neck if you don't do the frets right.

BigBear

Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:14 pm

David- if your budget allows, my first choice would be to take it to a good luthier and get it done right. A fret job isn't very expensive. I just had some frets files, a new Tusq nut installed and lowered the action and it was about $75. What's your time worth?

Also, a good, honest luthier will tell you if it's worth doing at all!

Good luck!

Rick

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:36 pm

Good advice from Bear, but why would you file all 17 frets lower (if you went that way)when replacing two would be easier and a Luthier wouldn't charge much for that.. Also the do nothing option makes sense if it doesn't effect playability or sound

quincy451

Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Well, I am done messing with this instrument as far as mods go...for the moment. I decided to do nothing with the frets. A couple looked like the could use some polishing and possibly leveling. But the gap was less than 1/64" an inch. I just figured if I did anything my margin of error would be greater than that. But I did do this:
I lowered the saddle by 7/64" at the low E, and 2/32" at the high E. I replaced the plastic nut and saddle with new Tusq units. The advice I had with Tusq units required a 5/32" reducation at the high E. But that would have required sanding into the actual bridge. I didn't want to do that. So I used my steel string guitar as a guide for dropping the nylon one. I also replaced the strings at this time.

Result: total success. playablity is increased up and down the neck and bar chords are now as easy as a open E chord. No buzzing and intenuation is still dead on.

Now if my steel string was doing as well. I put extra light gage strings on it and got a resonance when playing open low E and A string. So I loosened the truss rod a couple times until I could no longer hear this. Good...well, not so much...I can now hear this reasonance at the 12th fret A string harmonic only. And the kicker is when I play this song that requires you to play 6th fret high e string, and 8th fret b string and slide that up one fret. Well, my tone dies before I can ever get my left hand moved. Game over for that string/guitar combination. Going to need to go to something heavier.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic