Camera for making YouTube like videos

Lavallee

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:38 am

Thanks Al, I will look into it properly. Karma for your help and good videos

AcousticAl

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:56 am

Cheers Mark.. and good luck.

I don't know if you've seen them- but I posted 2 threads on video as well. One on Video Production and one on Video Compression. Lots of info there (probably too much!!)

I look forward to your vids!

goldleaf

Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:53 am

Check out the HD Kodak Zi8 $189. 5 meg pixles, image slabilazation, 32 meg card capacity. I do think it is handy to be able to set up a unidirectional mic you can point at your sound hole from a couple feet away and just plug into the mini cam, you avoid the motor sounds that lots of mounted mic's pick up and you can shoot the video from one angle and have the mic at another angle better suited for recording audio from your guitar. I haven't tried it. Supposed to be available Sept 1 but looks like they are already in stock at some stores. Looks like it might be a inexpensive way to get HD video and audio over an external mic. with built in Youtube software & direct USB plug in. Gary

goldleaf

Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:30 pm

Is anyone using the Koday zi8 if not is the Flip Cam still the easiest and cheapest way to get vidieos on YouTube to transfer to TG. I kinda been holding off since the new Kodak is just on the market this month, hoping to hear some feedback. Gary

AndyT

Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:36 pm

All you really need is a basic camera. There are a few features that make it easier and give better quality, but a camera phone will do.

Look for;
Digital
At least 5 Mega Pixels
Ability to plug in an external microphone (optional but highly desired)

Over and above that is extra.

Lavallee

Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:24 pm

Gary , I was going to buy that ZI8, but there are so many bad reviews and Amazon who was supposed to ship earlier this month is now at the end of September. So probably Kodak is delaying their delivery to fix problem. I tried the Flip Mino but the sound was not so good and returned it. Maybe the Flip ultra is better. I bougth a Creative web cam but I find that is too much delay in the image. Who in the people who made a video used a web cam?

Marc

goldleaf

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks for the info on the Kodak. I saw another post re:a web cam that is supposed to be nice but I 'm thinking more uses for a mini cam. It seems like there are a few that are being designed basically for use on YouTube with ease, but they are just on the verge of being released. I'd really like to have a mini cam w/an external mic jack. It would be nice to have a tripod mountable mini cam and a directional mic for audio recording that you could place in the best position. Problem is I've spent too much on guitars and can't afford more than $200 US on a video/audio set up. I might just get a HD Flip mini cam just so I can start recording although I know I should be patient and wait a few months. Probably need the practice before do a TG vid anyway. Gary

AcousticAl

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:57 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Gary , I was going to buy that ZI8, but there are so many bad reviews and Amazon who was supposed to ship earlier this month is now at the end of September. So probably Kodak is delaying their delivery to fix problem. I tried the Flip Mino but the sound was not so good and returned it. Maybe the Flip ultra is better. I bougth a Creative web cam but I find that is too much delay in the image. Who in the people who made a video used a web cam?

Marc

Hi Marc,

I used a webcam for 'Blackbird'- but I wasn't happy with it, so I took it down. I have it up elsewhere if you'd like me to send you the link to check the audio.

Let me know.

Al

Lavallee

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:53 pm

Yes Al, please send me the link, I would like to compare the quality of your camera vs the creative I have. I still think that they are not the best equipment for what we (I) want to do.

Thanks
Marc

michaelaaron

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:48 pm

While it might be cost prohibitive, I use a video camera, and use the audio only for reference, and record the audio using an SM-57 mic into Garage Band, which, in case you don't know, is a music recording software app. Any such app would do, but the idea is you get pristine audio, and can add effects like gate or reverb to it, edit out the beginnings and ends. Then, I take the footage from the camera, and line up the audio of that with the exported, clean audio I recorded. I delete the camera audio. But again, this is a process and maybe camera audio is fine for you. I just think it is too noisy and hiss-y. One tip though - you want to get the camera pointed to the guitar and as close to it as possible to minimize the room white noise.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic