Camera for making YouTube like videos

mark

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:14 am

Can anyone recommend a good camera for making YouTube like videos of guitar playing.

I don't need anything special, just something which records the sound reasonably well.

I'm not sure if any digital camera would do a good enough job or if I need something a bit more specific.

What do you guys use?

BigBear

Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:27 am

mark wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good camera for making YouTube like videos of guitar playing.

I don't need anything special, just something which records the sound reasonably well.

I'm not sure if any digital camera would do a good enough job or if I need something a bit more specific.

What do you guys use?

Mark- I don't think you need anything special to do these. Obviously, Hi-Def is better and digital is mandatory (not sure they even make analog anymore!).

But check the microphone specs. I believe the sound of digital video varies more than the picture. Unless you want to do a relatively complicated mic/pickup mixer setup, get a good mic in the camera! I thought Neil was using a mixer but he said he just uses a good Sony HD camcorder.

I have two Sony HD cameras and they have always worked well but I'm sure other brands, particularly Canon, work equally well!

Good luck! :cheer:

goldleaf

Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Mark, I have been looking into a video system that would video/audio guitar playing and download to Youtube so it can be put on TG. I was refered to a Flip mini video cam. They cost between $130 &190. They have a USB plug that is part of the cam, you just video, and plug it into your computer and it has builtin software to download to Youtube almost automatically. Only thing I wanted was a aux. out for a remote mic for better audio. None on the Flip's have that. On Sept. 1, Kodak is selling a minicam w/ a remote mic out w/ 5 magapixels & will handle 32 meg card for 10 hours of video. Sells for $189. Need to buy a remote mic for about $50 for a good mic, its a Kodak Zi8. Check it out. It also comes w/ software to download to Youtube, just plug into your USB, has a usb flip out on the cam, also you can use a regular usb wire. I'ts made for easy video to Youtube download. Gary

goldleaf

Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:47 pm

From a previous post I made

The Flip both the standard and the HD version are great..

Any best buy...or Amazon..

But I came across this little unit just released..

Its called the ZOOM Q3 Videocam

Its made by Samson, it has a top mounted mike..captures 640 x 480 video

The audio gets stored as an mp3 file on a hd card...

This is the GUts nuts ..............

249 measly smackas..

Get your videos up into the new channel all..

BigBear

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:24 am

mattwilliams wrote:
From a previous post I made

The Flip both the standard and the HD version are great..

Any best buy...or Amazon..

But I came across this little unit just released..

Its called the ZOOM Q3 Videocam

Its made by Samson, it has a top mounted mike..captures 640 x 480 video

The audio gets stored as an mp3 file on a hd card...

This is the GUts nuts ..............

249 measly smackas..

Get your videos up into the new channel all..

Matt- that camera won't be available in the US until October 9th! Cheers! :cheer:

AcousticAl

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:04 am

mark wrote:

What do you guys use?

Mark,

How are you getting your videos online now? What's wrong with that camera?

Lavallee

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:16 am

I bought a web cam , but it is choppy (I have a dual core 2.1 with 4 Gb od Ram video card is pretty good under vista). Shouldn' t this works?

mark

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:18 am

AcousticAl wrote:
mark wrote:

What do you guys use?

Mark,

How are you getting your videos online now? What's wrong with that camera?
I've bought a camera since making this post and that's what I've been using.
I bought a Panasonic SDR-S26.
Generally I'm very happy with it. I wanted something simple that I could point and shoot and then upload. I don't want to be spending a lot of time editing or knob twidling.

I could have done with a couple of extra features.

Such as a delay to when it starts shooting to give me time to sit down and be ready before it starts recording. This isn't too much of a problem as I have discovered that I can edit it out with the supplied software.

Being able to plug in an external microphone would have been nice, but I think the sound quality is just about good enough with the built in micophone

AcousticAl

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:34 am

Lavallee wrote:
I bought a web cam , but it is choppy (I have a dual core 2.1 with 4 Gb od Ram video card is pretty good under vista). Shouldn' t this works?
There are MANY variables. My webcam program will only let me record in 15second clips! I still haven't figured out why.

I would check what quality you're trying to record at and what format you're trying to record in. Is there a way to change that in your webcam program (video capture settings)? For example- recording in .avi format will make huge files that aren't necessary. Try to change that to a more compressed format like Windows Media (.wmv) or Quicktime (.mov). Lower bitrates mean smaller more manageable files.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic